Such a savory and delicious way to enjoy wild rice in a meal! This version of a MN classic casserole is a great option to add to your week-night dinner rotation. Enjoy the creamy vegetables and all the cheese in each filling bite!
A few weeks ago I was the lucky recipient of a package sent to me by my very good friend Kendis. I was insanely excited to find two plastic bags stuffed full of hand-picked wild rice inside! Her husband hand-picked it, you guys! Isn’t that the best? And it was so very nice of them to part with a portion of their harvest. I will not let a single kernel go to waste, I promise!
I already have a wild rice soup that I love, so I pondered turning that recipe into a casserole. Then I found this on good ol’ Pinterest (source: Picky Palate) and basically began drooling all over myself. It was fabulous. I liked it even better as left-overs, and they did not last long. Dan and I ate this entire pan up in no time.
(recipe adapted from: picky-palate.com)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a Dutch oven (or heavy saucepan or skillet), heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, sliced
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add 3 cloves of minced garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
Meat from 1 Rotisserie chicken (shredded) or 4 chicken breast halves (cooked and shredded)
2 cups prepared wild rice
2 cups prepared brown rice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Mix well and remove from heat.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Gradually add 2 cups of chicken broth, whisking constantly. Whisk until it becomes thick and is just barely boiling. This takes around 7-10 minutes.
Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Add the cheese sauce to the chicken-rice mixture and mix well. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Top with 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, depending on how cheesy you want to get!
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve gooey and warm!
Thank you again for the delicious rice, my good friends from the north!
Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 stalks of celery sliced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken (or 4 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded)
- 2 cups prepared wild rice
- 2 cups prepared brown rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. In a Dutch oven (or heavy saucepan or skillet), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Add the chicken, wild rice, brown rice, salt and pepper. Mix well and remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the four, salt and pepper. Gradually add the chicken broth, whisking constantly. Whisk until thick and just barely boiling, 7-10 minutes. Add 2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Add the cheese sauce to the chicken-rice mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm.