Chicken Pot Pie transformed into a delicious casserole! Creamy vegetables and chicken are baked into a buttery crispy crust. This is comfort food perfection especially during fall and winter months. This easy dinner goes together quickly and will become a family favorite!
Lately I have been chipping away at my to-make list of comfort foods. I’ve been wanting to make something along these lines for so long. It was super easy to make this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. It is comforting, delicious and low calorie! Dan claimed it was the best version of it he’d ever eaten. He rarely makes extreme statements, so that is a ringing endorsement!
Whether it’s a weather report of cold weather, rain and cloudy skies, or you just are craving food that is filling, hearty and want a casserole dish, this is a great recipe to put together. This Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe comes to mind when I’m wanting to make a meal for a family who just had a baby or came home after a stay in the hospital. Everyone loves it!
Proteins and vegetables are all wrapped together in a delicious gravy with a buttery crust that your family will love.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
Enjoy a hearty comfort food for dinner – Chicken Pot Pie will be enjoyed by all!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large round baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, peas, onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and the onion is fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, milk and flour (if using). Mix well and cook over medium-low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
Pour the chicken mixture from the skillet into the prepared baking dish. Cover with the pie crust, letting the edges hang over the sides of the dish. Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits into the dough. Place baking dish on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut pizza-style and serve warm!
- Optional vegetables to use: mushrooms, green beans, potatoes
- Lay the pie crust out on a pastry board or a cutting board and cut long strips of crust about an inch thick. Then a lattice crust can be made over your pot pie!
- Crescent rolls laid on top of your pot pie will also work in place of a pie crust.
- Rotisserie chicken will work great in this recipe.
- Turkey is a great alternative meat if you have it on hand.
- Steak bites are delicious in this pie, too.
USES FOR LEFTOVER CHICKEN MEAT
If you use meat from a Rotisserie chicken to make this recipe and have leftovers, there are endless possibilities for ways to use it up. I love loading up on Rotisseries chickens (or I just make my own!) because I never lack ideas for how to eat the succulent meat. Here are just a few ideas to get you started!
- Shred the chicken and add it to your next wrap or salad.
- Add it to your next batch of chicken noodle soup!
- Use it in chicken enchiladas or this yummy chicken enchilada bake.
- CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS! Chipotle style!
- Throw it into some cheesy quesadillas or even a grilled cheese sandwich!
- Once all the meat is removed from the chicken carcass, you can make a delicious, healthy bone broth with just a few vegetables that can then be used to cook or feel free to freeze it for future meals. Follow the simple steps in my Ham Bone Broth tutorial with whatever meat you have on hand.
OTHER TASTY CHICKEN DINNER FAVORITES
- Easy Classic Chicken Alfredo is the perfect dinner recipe for busy nights. Done in 30 minutes and made in a single pan, everyone at the table will love this comforting dish!
- Enjoy Chinese takeout at home with this Orange Chicken recipe! No deep frying required and this meal will be a hit with the whole family. This is a great easy dinner option for busy nights and tastes better than the Panda Express version you love so much!
- One-Pan Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – Dinner has never been easier! NO PREP is required for this quick and delicious dinner. Simplify those busy weeknights by adding this hearty meal to the dinner rotation!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole – This chicken casserole a delicious combination of the tastiest flavors you will ever eat in a single bite. Bacon, chicken, creamy alfredo sauce and pasta all make dinner a hit in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups carrots chopped, (approx 4 medium)
- 2 cups peas frozen
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour (optional: use to get a thicker sauce)
- 9 in pie crust refrigerated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2 ½-quart round baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, peas, onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and the onion is fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, soup, milk and flour (if using). Mix well and cook over medium-low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into the prepared baking dish. Cover with the pie crust, letting the edges hang over the sides of the dish. Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits into the dough. Place baking dish on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut pizza-style and serve warm!