Be prepared to SWOON over these cookies! The idea of combining a chocolate cookie and a creamy peppermint patty is possible. You’ll be glad that you did because they are so delicious! Perfect for sharing at Christmas and all your holiday gatherings.
POST UPDATE: Original recipe posted: November 2011 | Recipe updated: December 2019
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been on a bit of a sweet kick lately. A few nights ago I felt a strong urge to make these peppermint chocolate cookies when I got home from work. I saw the recipe in Rachael Ray’s EveryDay magazine and fell intensely in love. And that was before I bit into them.
Then. I bit into them…
The gates of heaven opened up, music began to play, I danced in perfect circles, until…I needed another bite. This went on for the first three cookies, when I realized that I needed to stop. I had to dig deep within myself to find every ounce of self-control. I could have eaten both pans. All 24 cookies. I’m not kidding.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COOKIES WITH A PEPPERMINT SURPRISE!
(adapted from: Rachael Ray’s EveryDay magazine)
A York Peppermint patty is an amazing addition to a cookie, taking it from yum to YUM!
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together on low speed:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
Turn out the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and flatten into a disk; completely cover to seal the dough in. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Working with approximately 1 tablespoon of dough at a time, use your fingers to evenly encase each of 24 miniature peppermint patties (unwrapped and chilled) with the dough.
Place the balls of dough on the prepared pans and smooth the dough with your fingers, if needed.
Bake until just firm to the touch, about 15 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and let cool slightly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a small bowl, microwave 6 ounces of white chocolate chips on high in 30-second bursts until it is creamy and completely smooth when stirred.
Using a large spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the cookies. Let cool completely before serving or storing.
Be prepared to get a glimpse of heaven upon biting into these cookies. Just wait, you will see what I mean!
BEST COOKIES FOR HOLIDAY BAKING
Add these delicious cookies to your holiday baking list, too!
These delicious Chewy Gingersnaps are the perfect chewy treat. Plus they are super easy to make. Flavored with molasses and spices and the finishing touch – topped with simple icing! Enjoy making these, as they are the perfect holiday baking cookie recipe!
These are the BEST Sugar Cookies. They are super easy to make (using only seven ingredients) and they are perfect for decorating. You will never need another sugar cookie recipe again!
Triple Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Frosting are already a thick, perfect cookie but Nutella sets them over the edge in goodness. You can’t skip topping them with decadent peppermint buttercream frosting because it transforms them into the perfect dessert. It’s a fun holiday flavor and they look pretty too!
These Chocolate Kiss Cream Cheese Cookies are a great dessert for gatherings any time of the year. They are light, creamy and sugary, with just the perfect kiss of milk chocolate!
Hot Cocoa Cookies are like enjoying a cup of hot chocolate, except in cookie form. Chocolate oozes from the centers of these marshmallow-topped treats. These rich cookies are perfect for holiday parties and dessert trays!
Oreo Balls are an easy no-bake dessert requiring only three ingredients! This easy dessert is great for the holidays or any time of year. Decorate with colored sprinkles to be festive and match the occasion.
These are the BEST Gingerbread Cookies you’ll find! Super easy to make and loved by everyone. Great for the holidays!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag it @pipandebby + hashtag it #PIPANDEBBY I’d love to see what you create!
Double Chocolate Cookies with a Peppermint Patty Surprise
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter slightly softened (6 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 24 miniature peppermint patties such as York, unwrapped and chilled
- 6 oz. white chocolate chips
- Using an electric mixer, beat the flour, cocoa powder, both sugars, salt and baking soda on low speed. Beat in the butter, then the egg. Turn out the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and flatten into a disk; seal. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment. Working with 1 tablespoon of dough at a time, use your fingers to evenly encase each peppermint patty with dough. Place on the prepared pans and smooth the dough with your fingers. Bake, switching the pans halfway through, until just firm to the touch, about 15 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and let cool slightly. Transfer the cookies on the parchment to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, microwave the white chocolate on high in 30-second bursts until creamy when stirred. Using a large spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the cookies. Let cool completely before serving or storing.