Well look at me! I’m taking a bit of a break from baking by cooking a savory dish instead! I have been approached by coworkers who are wondering where the baked goods are this week?! And don’t I understand that it’s the holiday season? Fret not, more baked goods will come.
I have had some health issues I have been trying to sort out, so little else besides sleep has sounded enticing in recent days. Once my boys are in bed, I: 1. take a bath, 2. sit next to my yummy hubby on the couch, 3. do some blogging, and 4. crawl into bed by 8:30 or 9:00. Such a party animal, aren’t I?
If I’m going to make anything in the kitchen right now, it has to happen between 4:30 and 6:00 pm. I attempted this recipe while watching my boys at dinner-time, which is always a true test of multi-tasking. It all worked out. My boys got fed, the house didn’t burn down, and the fish was fantastic!
In a large, deep skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
Add to the skillet:
1 small white onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
One 9-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and pressed dry (I used canned and quartered)
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 7 minutes.
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is nearly evaported, about 5 minutes.
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
Keep mixture warm.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until almost smoking.
Season four 6-ounce skinless cod fillets with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over high heat until well browned on the bottom, about 6 minutes. Carefully flip the fillets and cook until they’re white throughout, about 3 minutes longer.
Spoon the vegetables into a shallow dish and top with the seared cod fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.
Cod With Artichokes and Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 9-oz. box frozen artichoke hearts thawed and pressed dry
- 1/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms stems discarded and caps quartered
- 2 carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas drained
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp. snipped chives
- 4 6 oz. skinless cod fillets
- Lemon wedges for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, artichoke hearts, shiitake caps, carrots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 7 minutes. Add the chickpeas and stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is nearly evaporated, 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and chives and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until almost smoking. Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over high heat until well browned on the bottom, about 6 minutes. Carefully flip the fillets and cook until they’re white throughout, about 3 minutes longer.
- Spoon the vegetables into shallow bowls and top with the seared cod fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.