This is taking your favorite classic pecan pie to new heights! You will agree this pie is so rich and delicious, that you and your guests will keep coming back for more!
Original recipe posted: November 2011 | Recipe update: October 2019
Double-chocolate Thanksgiving-day tragedy
While searching for a pecan pie to make for Thanksgiving dinner this year, I came across this delicious Double Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe on Annie’s Eats. Chocolate and pecans in a pie?! Love it! I spent a portion of my morning on Thursday putting my love into this thing. It smelled fantastic! I knew it would be a Thanksgiving-Day hit.
We loaded up our boys, and our food, and headed to my sister-in-law’s house for dinner. When we arrived, I placed the pie on the top of the trunk. Do you see where this is heading? I opened the back door to get Sammy out of his car seat and just as I pulled his arm through the chest strap….CRASH! I looked up at my husband through the opposite side of the car and he shot me a look of sadness.
When I told my mother-in-law what had happened, she said, “Come on, let’s go taste it! We’re not letting it go to waste.” So there we were, the two of us, squatted down alongside the curb, scraping up bits of pie and eating it. Yes, I ate chocolate pecan pie from a curb on Thanksgiving Day. With no shame.
I’m glad she urged me back outside because it helped to ease some of the pain. Also because it was good to know that the pie tasted as fantastic as it had smelled. I walked back inside with a pie chunk in my hand, munching what I could before we started with the turkey. I’m just sad I didn’t get to eat a bigger piece. Or share it with my family.
MAKE HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM FOR THIS RECIPE
Absolutely yes! If desired, spoon a dollop or two of Homemade Whipped Cream on top!
HOW TO MAKE PECAN PIE WITH DOUBLE CHOCOLATE!
In a food processor, pulse together: flour, granulated sugar and salt.
Add 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into cubes) and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of ice water and process until the crumbs are evenly moistened.
Turn the crumbs out onto a sheet of wax paper and knead just until the dough comes together. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes.
Roll the chilled dough into a 12-inch round between two pieces of wax paper. Remove one piece of wax paper and transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate by pressing the dough to shape around the inside of the pie plate and pulling the second sheet of wax paper carefully away.
Trim the edges as necessary and create a fluted pattern using your fingers. Freeze the dough-lined pie plate until firm and very cold, 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the pie plate from the freezer and bake for 30 minutes, until the dough is golden.
While the dough is baking, prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter over low to medium heat.
Remove from the heat and add: dark brown sugar and salt. Stir until the butter is absorbed. Then beat in: eggs, corn syrup and vanilla extract.
Return to the burner and heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is warmed through, about 130 degrees F. Use your precise Thermopen to get an accurate reading quickly! Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of pecan halves.
Remove the pie shell from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees F. Pour the filling into the pie shell and top with:
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Bake for 60 minutes, or until the pie is soft like gelatin. Allow the pie to cool completely, for at least 4 hours before serving.
For more chocolatey fun, when you pull the crust out of the oven in Step 3, sprinkle a half cup of milk chocolate chips on the bottom of the crust and as they melt, spread them around.
If you want to toast your pecans for a delicious flavor, before adding them to your bars, follow these simple instructions!
BEST DESSERTS TO WOW YOUR GUESTS WITH DURING THE HOLIDAYS
The Best Carrot Cake– This is the best carrot cake recipe you’ll find. It is moist, flavorful, perfectly spiced and topped with an irresistible cream cheese frosting that will knock your socks off. Making carrot cake from scratch is EASY and you cannot mess it up with step-by-step instructions, as well as an instructional video!
Coconut Cream Pie – Coconut Cream Pie is a classic, dreamy dessert that will WOW guests at any gathering. A creamy filling is topped with homemade whipped cream and perfectly toasted coconut flakes!
Pecan Pie Bars – Introducing you to Pecan Pie with a fraction of the effort! Pecan Pie Bars are a hit at Thanksgiving gatherings or any other time of the year!
Chocolate Crunch Layer Cake with Caramel Frosting – Turn up the YUM on chocolate cake by adding crunch and an irresistible Caramel Frosting! A layer of chocolate crunch is hidden inside the cake for an extra bit of yummy surprise.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag it @pipandebby + hashtag it #PIPANDEBBY I’d love to see what you create!
Double Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp. ice water
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate chopped
- MAKE THE CRUST: In a food processor, pulse the flour with the sugar and salt. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle on the ice water and process until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Turn the crumbs out onto a sheet of wax paper and knead just until the dough comes together. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough into a 12-inch round between two pieces of wax paper. Remove one piece of wax paper and transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate by pressing dough to shape around inside of plate and pulling the second sheet of wax paper carefully away. Trim the edges as necessary and create a fluted pattern using fingers. Freeze the dough-lined pie plate until firm and very cold, 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the pie plate from the freezer and bake for 30 minutes, until the dough is golden.
- MAKE THE FILLING: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and salt until the butter is absorbed. Beat in the eggs, corn syrup and vanilla. Return to the burner and heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is warmed through, about 130 degrees F. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
- Remove the pie shell from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees F. Pour the filling into the pie shell and top with the chopped chocolate over top. Bake for 60 minutes, or until the pie is soft like gelatin with pressed with the back of a spoon. Allow to cool for 4 hours before serving.