Add a bit of spice and added flavor to your dinner burger! These are packed with flavor!
It is always hard to write when I have a heavy heart. Boston’s tragedy is weighing on me, as they all do. Airplanes, movie theaters, kindergarten classrooms and now marathons?! It is sad, sick, tragic and incomprehensible. Normally I would set my computer aside and try again in the morning. Since we will be traveling for most of the day tomorrow, that unfortunately is not an option. And so I write!
We have had such a nice vacation in North and South Carolina. Dan and I had a solid 48 hours of time sans kids, which was cherished beyond words. My dad and stepmom watched our boys while we enjoyed the ocean and warm sun and friends and each other. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. [insert very deep and strained groan] We will get on a plane and fly back to the land of never-ending snow and cold. Yes, the yard glacier still stands. No, I am not excited about leaving. Yes, I will miss my dad and stepmom and our vacation terribly. No, I am not excited about leaving. No, I am not excited about leaving. No, I am not excited about leaving.
Perhaps grilling season will open its welcoming arms soon. Until then, we will continue to grill burgers in the cold upon our arrival back home. This batch was a great one to start “the season” with last week. Have you noticed that I have had a bit of an obsession with hot peppers lately?
Light a grill over medium heat.
In a medium bowl, combine:
1 pound ground turkey (or beef, if you aren’t worried about slimming the burger down)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Using your hands, mix the ingredients together thoroughly. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form patties.
Place the patties on the lighted grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until desired level of done-ness is reached.
Layer each burger as follows:
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1 tomato slice
1/4 of an avocado (peeled, pitted and thinly sliced)
A couple spoonfuls of salsa
1 large piece of lettuce
Happy delicious burger eating!
Spicy Avocado Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb. ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 tomato slices
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 large pieces lettuce
- Light a grill over medium heat. In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, red onions, jalapeños and Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture into four equal portions. Form four patties with hands and place on the lighted grill. Cook for 5 minutes on each side or until desired level of done-ness is reached.
- Place a burger onto the bottom half of each bun. Top each with a slice of cheese, a slice of tomato, a quarter of the avocado slices, a quarter of the salsa, a piece of lettuce and the top half of the bun. Serve to hungry burger lovers.