Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large skillet. Add onions carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until veggies are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add flour and stir until veggies are coated. Gradually add the milk, stirring after each addition. Add the chicken stock/broth and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Add broccoli florets and simmer (still covered) over medium-low heat for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and serve hot!
- For a smoother soup consistency, use an immersion blender to puree the mixture.
- For a chunkier consistency, serve as-is.
- Transform this broccoli cheese soup into a gluten-free meal by omitting the flour! Easy peasy!
- Cauliflower, mushrooms and green peppers can be great additions to change up the soup!
- Feel free to substitute olive oil for butter.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper for a nice little kick!
- Heavy cream can be used to replace milk if you want it thicker. Bone broth can be used so you pack in healthy ingredients while enjoying each bite of cheese!
Calories: 665.86kcal | Carbohydrates: 22.65g | Protein: 35.34g | Fat: 49.02g | Saturated Fat: 28.14g | Cholesterol: 141.54mg | Sodium: 1148.63mg | Fiber: 3.65g | Sugar: 4.25g
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!