Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Pour over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- For a meaty sauce, add 1 pound of lean ground beef, turkey or sausage. If you go this route, cook the meat in a skillet first and drain excess grease. Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet and cook as directed.
- Spruce up the sauce by using any or all of the following: red pepper flakes, fresh tomatoes or diced canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil or dried basil, grated Parmesan, a few minced garlic cloves or fresh chopped onions.
- Add sugar (or other sweetener) 1 teaspoon at a time for a sweeter sauce.
- Store room temperature leftovers in an airtight container or glass jar in the fridge. Use within 4-5 days.
- Adding homemade marinara sauce boosts the flavor hugely!
- Add a dash or two of red wine for a more complex end result.
Calories: 49kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 923mg | Potassium: 458mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 668IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!