Fill a Dutch oven or large heavy-duty saucepan one-third full of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and mash with a potato masher as it cooks, until it is cooked through and no longer pink. Add beef to a colander and drain water. Return beef to pan.
Add all remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching.
Serve over cooked hot dogs and top with onions and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired!
- Spice up this chili sauce by adding any of the following: extra red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, hot sauce or diced jalapeno peppers.
- Serve warm over hot dogs with cheese and chopped onions sprinkled on top. Other great topping options: sliced green onions, minced jalapenos, pickle relish, chopped onions (any variety) and shredded cheese.
- Create a hot dog bar where people can build their own dogs. Place toppings in separate bowls and allow each guest to determine how much chili sauce they'd like to pile on their hot dogs.
- Use your favorite hot dog brand to create this meal.
- You may opt to brown ground beef in a skillet the traditional way, but we found that using the method detailed in this recipe is the perfect way to achieve an extra moist and flavorful end result.
- The potato masher used to mash the meat is essential, as it ensures you break the meat into small pieces. This is a trademark feature of this easy hot dog chili recipe!
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 1246mg | Potassium: 950mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1304IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 5mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!