In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain grease. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt and elbow macaroni to the pan. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat, cover pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
Remove from heat and serve immediately!
- The seasoned salt in the recipe might seem odd, but don't skip it! It adds the perfect amount of seasoning. When I've skipped this ingredient in the past, I've noticed a difference in overall flavor of the dish.
- Replace all or a portion of the water in the recipe with LOW SODIUM beef broth for an even more flavorful meal.
- Try replacing the ground meat (or a portion of it) with ground pork for an added kick of flavor.
- For a healthier version of this comforting meal, replace the beef with ground turkey or chicken.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese or Parmesan over the top just before serving for an extra cheesy version of this dish.
- Add 2 bay leaves and/or a splash of red wine to the pot before cooking for extra flavor.
- Add a chopped green bell pepper to the onion mixture for added texture and flavor. Red, yellow, orange or green peppers would all taste great.
- I recently had a friend tell me that she added 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to this recipe and that it was super yummy.
Calories: 554kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 1275mg | Potassium: 1051mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 599IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 6mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!