Combine steak strips and cornstarch in a large bowl. Mix until beef is coated and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, water, garlic and 2 tablespoons oil; whisk until combined.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak in a single layer (do this in batches, if needed) and cook for 3 minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a separate bowl and cover. Pour the soy sauce mixture into the skillet (do not clean out!) and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer until mixture is thick, 5-7 minutes.
Add the steak back to the skillet and cook until heated through. Serve immediately over white rice and top with green onion slices!
- A few tablespoons of hoisin sauce would be a delicious addition to this great recipe!
- Garlic and ginger make such a delicious food duo in Chinese dishes, so feel free to add a bit of fresh or dried ginger to the recipe along with the soy sauce, water and brown sugar mixture.
- Serve this dish over a pile of white or brown rice for the best flavor!
- To make the recipe healthier, use low-sodium soy sauce.
- Make sure to use a hot pan when cooking the steak to avoid over-cooking the beef.
- Be careful not to overcrowd the pan! Cook the steak in batches, if needed.
- Add sauteed or steamed stir fry vegetables such as bell peppers, snow peas or broccoli for a great addition to your meal.
Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 1690mg | Potassium: 494mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!