Make The Cake
Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously spray three 8- or 9-inch round cake pans (or you can do this with one cake pan, baking one at a time) with cooking spray. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, sugar, egg whites and almond extract and beat on medium speed until creamy and free of lumps.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Gradually add to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined. Add the milk gradually and mix until creamy.
Divide the cake batter between three same-size bowls. Leave one as-is. Add yellow food coloring to one and neon orange to the last to match candy corn colors. Pour batter individually into the prepared cake pans and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Using a serrated bread knife, cut the rounded tops off each cooled cake.
Make The Frosting
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, confectioners’ sugar and almond extract. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Assemble The Cake
Place the yellow cake in the center of a cake or serving plate. Spread the frosting evenly and generously over the top in an even layer. Top with the orange cake and repeat frosting. Top with the white cake.
Using an offset or icing spatula, apply frosting to the sides of the cake and create a smooth surface. Repeat on the top of the cake. Decorate with candy corn and cover cake until ready to serve!
- Consider adding orange or yellow food coloring to the frosting for an orange frosting or yellow frosting option!
- To save time, prepare a box cake mix according to package directions. Use a white cake mix for this.
- If you have time, add a crumb coat to the cake before spreading the remainder of the frosting on.
- Go crazy with the candy corn as the decor. The more, the merrier. So fun!
- Personally I like having the darkest color on the bottom of the cake, but switch it around if you want! Go white layer, yellow layer, orange layer from bottom to top, if desired.
Calories: 742kcal | Carbohydrates: 110g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 85g | Vitamin A: 984IU | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!