Melt butter in a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
Add the flour and stir until veggies are coated. Add white wine and stir until lumps are gone. Turn heat to medium-high and add the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
Pour the cooled soup mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Add heavy cream and cook until warm. Serve warm with thyme on top!
- Be absolutely sure that you allow the soup to cool before blending it!
- Another option for making the soup creamier is to use an immersion blender or even a potato masher, depending on how smooth you want it to be.
- The white wine in the recipe is optional, but adds incredible flavor!
- For a beautiful presentation (since, uh, the soup itself is not super beautiful), lay a few fresh thyme leaves over the top before serving.
- Chicken and vegetable broth can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
- Any type of mushrooms work great in this soup, even the standard white variety that is easily found in the produce aisle.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 785mg | Potassium: 470mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 763IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!