Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt until there are no lumps.
Stir in oats and raisins. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots and banana and stir until blended. Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup batter.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 18 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. To store, keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- The carrots are a great veggie to get into your muffins, they add vitamin K1, fiber and potassium. They also add moisture! Purchase them shredded at the grocery store or use your cheese grater to do it yourself.
- A quarter cup of chopped walnuts would be good in these muffins if you like extra crunch.
- Try to let these cool completely off before you dive into one. The smell will make it difficult, however they will keep their shape better if you allow them to cool.
- Add a few tablespoons of any of these natural sweeteners to the batter: honey, agave syrup, maple syrup or even refined sugar.
- An added dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt taste great!
- For a gluten-free muffin, use almond flour. Check the label on your oats, too!
- Replace olive oil with coconut oil, if desired.
- Any dried fruit can replace the raisins.
- Replace milk with almond milk for a dairy free recipe.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 185mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1741IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!