Using a stand or hand-held mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the eggs and almond extract and beat until just incorporated. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda salt. Gradually add in the flour mixture until just combined.
Shape dough into two disks and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut the dough into desired shapes. Place on prepared baking sheets. Roll out excess dough and repeat process until dough is gone.
Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are very lightly golden. Let cool completely before decorating with icing or sprinkles, if desired.
- The smaller the cut-outs you use and the smaller the size of the cookie, the shorter the baking time. Keep a close eye starting around the 8-minute mark.
- The options are endless for decorating sugar cookies! A light dusting of powdered sugar is a simple route to go. A simple icing is also a great choice.
- A thin layer of buttercream frosting with sprinkles is festive, fun and delicious!
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the dough for colorful cookies to match your occasion!
- This dough freezes well, so if you don't have time to roll out and make all of the cookies in one sitting throw them in the freezer for later use! When you are ready to make cookies, allow the dough to thaw completely before rolling out.
- Replace almond extract with vanilla extract for a less "Christmassy" flavor.
- Be careful not to over-beat OR over-bake the dough/cookies.
- This easy recipe can be stored either in the fridge or at room temperature
Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 213mg | Potassium: 20mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 171IU | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!