Rub the taco seasoning over the surfaces of the chicken breasts. Set Instant Pot to saute. Heat the olive oil and add the chicken to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes/side.
Add chicken broth, corn, black beans, salsa (or diced tomatoes) and green chiles to the pot. Deglaze the pot (scrape the bottom with a spoon) and mix well. Pour the rice into the pot and make sure it is fully immersed in liquid (do not stir after this point).
Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 10 minutes on high pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 12 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
When cooking is done, do an immediate quick release. Remove cover and transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
Mix well and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Let sit 5 minutes and scoop into bowls. Top with cilantro and green onions.
- This is one of those recipes that is appropriate to make for just about any occasion, any time of the year. It is also a great meal prep recipe. It reheats well, so eat it for a filling lunch throughout the week!
- For an extra cheesy final product, add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese along with the Mozzarella at the end!
- For an extra spicy bowl, add spicy salsa, chopped jalapeño peppers and/or chili powder.
- It is super important not to stir the mixture once you've added the rice to the pot. Make sure the rice is fully immersed in liquid, but avoid mixing it up. This will keep the rice from falling to the bottom of the pot and scorching.
- If you decide to use brown rice, add an extra half cup of broth and 10 minutes to the total time you cook it, for a total of 20 minutes of cooking. Let it release naturally 10 minutes before releasing the remainder.
- Serve alongside flour or corn tortillas for an extra hearty meal.
Calories: 540kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 1540mg | Potassium: 1067mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1276IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 156mg | Iron: 3mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!