Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water or broth and cook until liquid has reduced.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the refried beans in an even layer and top with 1 cup of the cheese and half of the green onions.
Arrange the taco shells upright in the prepared dish, on top of the bean mixture. Divide the ground beef between the shells, followed by the remaining cheese. Bake covered in the preheated oven for 10 minutes and 5 minutes uncovered.
Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro, remaining green onions and taco sauce and serve!
- Add up to 1/2 cup tomato sauce to the beef mixture (along with water or broth) for extra flavorful meat.
- Replace the beef with ground chicken or turkey for a leaner meal or ground sausage for a more flavorful taco filling.
- Add fresh or dried garlic to the taco meat for extra flavor, if desired.
- Go as crazy as you’d like with the toppings, after the tacos are done baking. The more, the better! Better yet, set out bowls with different options and let everyone choose their own!
- If you wish to transform these into chicken tacos, I have a delicious recommendation for you! Make my FAVORITE recipe for chicken taco meat in your Instant Pot and add them to the shells before baking.
- To spice up the recipe, add 1/2 to 1 diced jalapeno pepper to the meat mixture. You could also add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the meat and use extra spicy salsa as a topping!
Calories: 348.09kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.05g | Protein: 22.86g | Fat: 20.04g | Saturated Fat: 8.57g | Cholesterol: 69.7mg | Sodium: 575.75mg | Fiber: 3.07g | Sugar: 2.57g
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!