MAKE THE PIE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes and stir. Bake for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Press pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake according to package directions.
In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, heavy cream, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk until mixture is totally smooth. Stir in half of the toasted coconut, vanilla extract and coconut extract.
Pour mixture into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
MAKE THE TOPPING
When ready to serve, place metal bowl and beaters in the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes. Remove and immediately add the 3 cups whipping cream, powdered sugar and coconut extract to the bowl.
Beat on high speed for 4 minutes, or until whipped cream is firm. Spread in an even layer over the pie filling and top with the remaining toasted coconut flakes.
- The pie crust should be blind baked and completely cooled for about 2 hours before adding the coconut custard into the crust.
- While bringing the filling to a boil on the stove top, make sure you whisk constantly to avoid making scrambled eggs.
- Coconut Cream Pie is the perfect Easter dessert, but don’t limit it to just Easter! It is perfect for summer gatherings, Thanksgiving, Christmas or an any-day dessert!
- Promise me that you will not skip out on toasting the coconut flakes. This step is vital and EASY and transforms this pie into something amazing.
- I highly recommend making your own whipped cream, as opposed to buying the frozen version. It is so creamy and delicious when made from scratch!
Calories: 1242kcal | Carbohydrates: 114g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 82g | Saturated Fat: 42g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 822mg | Potassium: 369mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 1227IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 6mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!