Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and parsley and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the flour, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese to the skillet and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the sauce. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes and sauce. Top with the cheddar cheese and parsley.
Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
- Cheddar cheese is perfect for this side dish but sharp cheddar would combine well with the creaminess of the milk and cream cheese.
- Add 1 tsp of garlic powder to step 3 because garlic makes everything better!
- For an even creamier cheese sauce, replace a portion of the milk with heavy cream.
- Use a mandolin to speed up the potato-slicing process and also to ensure the slices are similar in size.
- Yukon gold potatoes are a good substitute for red.
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 451mg | Potassium: 1423mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 979IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 268mg | Iron: 3mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!