Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and generously coat a cast iron pan (or a square 9×9 baking dish) with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, butter and honey. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined and stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in the cheese and diced jalapeno. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with jalapeno slices and a few drizzles of honey, if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through in the center. Cut and serve!
- This recipe does NOT require buttermilk, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. Use any variety of regular milk, including skim, 1%, 2% or whole.
- If you don't like spicy food, don’t dismiss this recipe. Simply omit the peppers altogether and throw in an extra little bit of grated cheddar cheese. Make it sharp cheddar! Or cherry tomatoes or a can of sweet corn kernels. Or how about some cooked, chopped bacon? Green onions would be amazing, as well.
- This cornbread only takes 30 minutes to make, from start to finish. It is a great addition to any holiday or family meal and it also goes great alongside a steaming bowl of chili or Chicken Wild Rice Soup or Chicken and Dumplings.
- If you do not have a cast iron skillet, use a square baking dish or pie plate instead. You may need to adjust baking time, so use your oven light for peeking.
- For a super sweet cornbread, alter the amount of sugar by adding up to 1/4 cup extra. Also, consider adding a pat of honey butter to the top before serving and/or drizzle with extra honey!
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 616mg | Potassium: 164mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 624IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 2mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!