MAKE THE COFFEE CAKE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Gradually add to the butter mixture and beat on medium-low speed until just combined. Add the sour cream and mix until just combined. Stir in the apples. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading in an even layer.
MAKE THE CRUMBLE
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbles over the cake batter in the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
MAKE THE GLAZE
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), confectioners’ sugar and apple juice. Mix on medium speed until glaze is free of lumps. Drizzle over the cooled coffee cake, cut into squares and serve!
- When chopping and peeling the apples, fill a large bowl about half with cool water and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into it. The lemon juice will keep your apples from getting brown while you get them prepped for the recipe.
- Use an apple corer/peeler if you have one because they will make this process go super fast. If you don't have one, use a potato peeler and a knife to get the job done.
- I have fallen IN LOVE with my dear apple peeler and corer. If a lot of apples go through your kitchen, you absolutely must consider buying one. It's the most magical tool in my kitchen!
- To slim down the recipe, replace a portion of the brown sugar in the batter with honey. Also, you can use a low-fat sour cream.
- For a caramel twist, drizzle salted caramel sauce over the top instead of simple icing!
Calories: 368.29kcal | Carbohydrates: 60.68g | Protein: 4.34g | Fat: 12.44g | Saturated Fat: 7.11g | Cholesterol: 62.64mg | Sodium: 389.48mg | Fiber: 0.94g | Sugar: 39.78g
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!