- 12 cups plain popped popcorn 1/3 cup unpopped
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 2 cups candy pieces optional
Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, butter, confectioners’ sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel. Stir in candy pieces, if desired.
Grease hands with shortening and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls before the mixture cools. Wrap with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
- Grab enough popcorn to make the balls about 3-4 inches in diameter, which is a good size for this treat.
- Another option is to form them into bite-size balls. Stick a popsicle stick in the center to reduce the amount of hand stickiness when eaten.
- To skip the candy in the balls while still sprucing up the popcorn balls, add colored sprinkles. It'll look fun!
- Chopped dried fruit, chocolate or chopped nuts are other great options for mix-ins.
- Transform popcorn balls into edible pumpkins! Use orange food coloring to add color to the balls. Then use a small piece of black licorice or Rolo candy to place on top of the ball
- To add coloring, add 3-5 drops of food coloring to the mixture in the saucepan before adding the popcorn. To achieve more of a tie-dye effect, add a single drop of several colors and use a knife to swirl it around before adding popcorn.
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 95g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 97mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 80g | Vitamin A: 261IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg