- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 oz. packet taco seasoning or 2 Tbsp homemade
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 32 oz. container chicken stock or broth
- 2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- Meat from one Rotisserie chicken (~2 cups), shredded
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips, for topping
Heat olive oil in an extra-large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, bell pepper, green onions, jalapeño peppers, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add parsley and cilantro and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, corn and beans to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Five minutes before the soup is finished, add the chicken.
Ladle into serving bowls and top with cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips.
TO MAKE THIS SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER: After cooking the garlic, peppers, onions and spices on the stove top, add it to a slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients (minus chicken). Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Add chicken, cook for 30 additional minutes and serve.
For a spicier soup recipe, add extra jalapenos and/or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
For a milder soup, decrease or omit the jalapeno peppers, as well as the green chiles.
Change up the meat in the recipe, if desired. Replace the chicken with a pound of cooked ground beef or even pork.
Homemade taco seasoning tastes amazing in this recipe!
Replace one can of diced tomatoes with a can of tomato sauce for a bolder flavor.
If black beans aren’t your thing, kidney beans or pinto beans are great replacements.
Calories: 375.46kcal | Carbohydrates: 37.94g | Protein: 26.22g | Fat: 14.7g | Saturated Fat: 3.64g | Cholesterol: 57.77mg | Sodium: 1107.28mg | Fiber: 9.85g | Sugar: 11.83g