Warm up with this spicy, comforting, delicious soup. This is the best taco soup recipe and it comes together in 30 minutes! Cater the spice to your liking and enjoy this as a party food or weeknight meal.
Why This Recipe Works
There is nothing in the world like letting the smells of a comforting soup fill your home on a chilly fall or winter day. This soup smells fantastic as it simmers on the stove top and it tastes even better, warm in your belly.
There is room to increase the spice in this recipe and it is also very possible to prepare it mild. Cater it to your family’s tastes! Enjoy this comfort food. This is a tried and true family favorite that gets made a lot in our home.
Check out our web stories to see Pip and Ebby “recipes in action!”
How To Make Taco Soup
Heat olive oil in an extra-large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, bell pepper, green onions, jalapeño peppers, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add parsley and cilantro and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the chicken stock or broth, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans and green chiles to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Five minutes before the soup is finished, add the chicken.
Ladle into serving bowls and top with desired toppings such as cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.
Web Story For Taco Soup
Check out this taco soup recipe in action!
- For a spicier soup recipe, add extra jalapenos and/or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- For a milder soup, decrease or omit the jalapeno peppers, as well as the green chiles.
- Change up the meat in the recipe, if desired. Replace the chicken with a pound of cooked ground beef or even pork.
- Homemade taco seasoning tastes amazing in this recipe. Consider going homemade!
- Replace one can of diced tomatoes with a can of tomato sauce for a bolder flavor.
- If black beans aren’t your thing, kidney beans or pinto beans are great replacements.
How To Make Taco Soup in a Slow Cooker
I’m glad you asked because it is definitely an option to prepare this soup in your slow cooker. After cooking the garlic, peppers, onions and spices on the stove top, add it to a slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients (minus chicken).
Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Add chicken, cook for 30 additional minutes and serve.
Favorite Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Here are a few of my favorite recipes to make for your next Cinco de Mayo gathering!
Uses For Taco Seasoning
If you grow tired of taco meat, we need to have a chat. Kidding, but here are a few other ideas for ways to use taco seasoning.
- Stir it into any creamy dip (yum).
- Really, you could add it to just about any meat-based meal to transform it into a tasty, spicy food. I’m thinking meatballs, burgers or even chicken.
- Use it as a rub on your next Rotisserie chicken or batch of ribs!
- Add it to salad dressing for an extra zing.
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Best Taco Soup Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 oz taco seasoning or 2 Tbsp homemade
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 32 oz chicken stock or broth
- 56 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz corn drained
- 15 oz black beans drained
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded (pull meat from a Rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup toppings shredded cheese, sour cream, etc
- Heat olive oil in an extra-large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, bell pepper, green onions, jalapeño peppers, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add parsley and cilantro and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, corn and beans to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Five minutes before the soup is finished, add the chicken.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips.
For a milder soup, decrease or omit the jalapeno peppers, as well as the green chiles.
Change up the meat in the recipe, if desired. Replace the chicken with a pound of cooked ground beef or even pork.
Homemade taco seasoning tastes amazing in this recipe!
Replace one can of diced tomatoes with a can of tomato sauce for a bolder flavor.
If black beans aren’t your thing, kidney beans or pinto beans are great replacements.
Made this last yesterday, my family and boyfriend LOVED it. Definitely making this again, doesn't cost much to make, does take a little time to chop up items, but totally worth it!
Wow! I made this tonight for my New Year's Eve dinner and it was fabulous! I did change a couple of things but it was still so darn good! I used ground beef instead of chicken and added a little taco seasoning mix and used cream cheese to garnish instead of grated cheese. It is so delicious! I will no doubt make this again and again.
Thanks again for another delicious recipe!
This looks amazing. I am going to try a veggie version of this.
Katrina @ WVS
This soup looks soooo delicious! Lovely!
I love that this soup isn't ALL canned products. I've had the other version, it's good, but I avoid it because its all processed!
I'll be making this version before the New Year!!
Thanks for posting!
Tracy | Pale Yellow
What a warm and lovely soup! Perfect for a winter dinner. Your family has a wonderful Christmas tradition, Merry Christmas!