You can cook Instant Pot grilled chicken to simulate the tender, perfect chicken that comes from the grill. Start with thawed or frozen to create the most delicious chicken you will ever make.
Original post: February 2019 | Updated: May 2021
Why This Recipe Works
My Instant Pot and I are quickly becoming besties. I was reluctant to dive into this popular kitchen appliance for a long time because I didn’t understand the hype. Now that I have made a lot of perfect recipes (seriously perfect), I finally understand.
A Pressure Cooker does everything in one little pot and keeps my counter from getting over-loaded with dishes. There are so many times when bare, uncooked chicken breasts stare at me when I open my fridge and quite honestly I get tired of baking them.
I love throwing them into my Instant Pot with some chicken broth (water works great, too!). They emerge tasting like tender, juicy, delicious chicken that come straight from the grill!
Enjoy this super easy Instant Pot recipe that is certain to save you at least once weekly.
Seasonings – A simple combination of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder work wonders for this recipe. Feel free to add other seasonings to your liking!
Chicken breasts – Use thawed or frozen. It’s true! You can throw totally rock-hard frozen chicken into your Instant Pot and get a perfect result.
Chicken broth or stock – Using chicken stock or broth helps to add flavor to the chicken, but water is a great alternative, as well.
How To Make Instant Pot Grilled Chicken Breasts
Cooking chicken in your pressure cooker is insanely easy. Ready? Plug in your Instant Pot and grab a few chicken breasts, then follow these easy instructions:
Rub the mixture all over the surface of the chicken breasts. (Skip this step for an even simpler recipe.)
Place trivet into your Instant Pot and add chicken broth or water. Carefully add the chicken in a single layer onto the trivet.
Cover the pot and set timer to 5 minutes (for thawed breasts) or 10 minutes (for frozen breasts) on high pressure. It will take the IP around 10 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
When cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then set to Quick Release. Let the float valve drop and remove the lid.
Remove chicken from the pot and serve! Pour liquid from the pot over the tops of the breasts, if desired, or shred and add back to liquid.
Can You Cook Frozen Meat in an Instant Pot?
One of the perks of using a pressure cooker to cook meat is being able to throw it in straight out of the freezer. When you bake frozen meat, it can become dry. When frozen meat is cooked in an Instant Pot it comes out tender and juicy.
To perfectly cook frozen chicken breasts, separate the pieces first then cook in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes on high pressure. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then set to quick release.
Make Shredded Chicken in an Instant Pot
When the chicken breasts are done cooking, remove them from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken and add the shredded meat back to the Instant Pot with the liquids. Stir and let the meat heat up for a few minutes. Serve on buns or as a chicken tacos or taco salad filling.
FAQ About Chicken Breasts
According to the USDA, you can safely cook frozen chicken breasts as long as the final internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Approximately three-quarters of a pound of boneless skinless chicken breast meat will yield 2 cups of cubed or shredded cooked chicken.
Chicken breast meat is a healthy portion of this nutritious bird. The meat from the breast is low in fat and contains a good amount of protein.
A split chicken breast is referred to as being “split” because it contains a whole chicken breast from both sides of a single chicken that has been split in half.
Chicken breasts can be cooked in a variety of ways, including on a grill, in an oven, on a stove top or in an Instant Pot or air fryer. Whichever way you cook them, be sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F before consuming them.
Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
The list of foods you can cook and the many ways you can cook food in an Instant Pot is endless! It can act as a slow cooker, skillet, steamer, rice maker, yogurt maker and pressure cooker. It can cook soup, chili, pasta, meat, potatoes, veggies, cake, beans and so much more:
- Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs turn out perfectly every time!
- Make a comforting, hearty Instant Pot Goulash in just 30 minutes!
- Did you know that Mashed Potatoes made in your Instant Pot are creamy, smooth and delicious!?
- Using a pressure cooker will save you time in getting Chicken Noodle Soup on the table but will taste like it simmered all day!
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Instant Pot Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts thawed or frozen
- 14.5 oz chicken broth or stock, or 2 cups water
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and olive oil. Mix together and rub over the entire surface of the chicken breasts.
- Place a trivet into Instant Pot and pour the chicken broth into it. Place the chicken breasts in a single layer on top of the trivet.
- Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 5 minutes (for thawed breasts) or 10 minutes (for frozen breasts) on high pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 10 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
- When cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then set to Quick Release. Let the float valve drop and remove the cover.
- Remove chicken from the pot and serve! Pour liquid from the pot over the tops, if desired, or shred and add back to liquid.