Throwing together a delicious coleslaw recipe should be easy and simple. This classic coleslaw contains shredded cabbage, creamy vinaigrette dressing and it’s not loaded down with mayo! This will be your go-to slaw for a dinner side, picnic fare and fish tacos!
WHY MAKE COLESLAW
Every time I’m asked to bring a dish to a party, I tend to think big. Like, which layer cake should I make? But sometimes it’s the simple dishes that go best on a potluck table. A super yummy bowl of coleslaw is the perfect party food because it is SO easy to make and it tastes great on a plate with just about any food in the world.
I love this recipe! It is not your typical mayo-loaded slaw, which makes me happy, because yuck. It is a much lighter version made with freshly sliced cabbage, making it the tastiest coleslaw you or your guests will ever eat!
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO TUTORIAL TO SEE HOW EASY COLESLAW IS TO MAKE FROM SCRATCH!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY COLESLAW – EASY RECIPE!
When you realize how quick and easy it is to make this recipe, you’ll enjoy it more often! It is the perfect side dish for any meal.
In a medium bowl, combine: 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mix well.
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups each shredded green cabbage and red cabbage and 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots and mix.
Add the mayonnaise vinegar mixture to the cabbage mixture and stir until coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
One of the things I love about this recipe is that the coleslaw dressing is not loaded with mayo! If you’d like to decrease the amount of mayo in the recipe even more, replace some or part of it with plain yogurt.
I’ve made this recipe using a pre-packaged coleslaw mix and it works in a pinch. The freshness and flavor is so much better, in my opinion, when you use fresh cabbage and carrots.
Replace the yellow mustard with a spicy or dijon mustard for an extra punch of flavor.
It’s ok to replace the apple cider vinegar with white distilled, white wine or red wine vinegar.
Adding 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed would taste great in this slaw!
CAN COLESLAW BE MADE THE DAY BEFORE?
I recommend making coleslaw the same day it is being served for optimal freshness. Preparing it the day before serving might save some time and will keep just fine in the fridge. Be sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap and consider keeping the cabbage mix and the dressing separate until just before serving.
HOW LONG DOES FRESH COLESLAW LAST?
Coleslaw tastes the best on the first day it is made, but it will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. The quality will diminish with each passing day, so consider yourself warned.
OPTIONAL ADD-INS FOR COLE SLAW
Make cole slaw your own! Here are a few optional ingredients you can throw into your next batch!
Dried cranberries or raisins
WHAT TO SERVE WITH COLESLAW
Here are great main dishes that taste AMAZING with a side (or topping!) of slaw:
WHAT TO SERVE AT A PARTY
I LOVE party food, so you have come to the right place if you are looking for recipes to make for your next gathering. You can NEVER go wrong when you show up at a party with a bowl of coleslaw in your hands, but here are some other options that are easy, delicious and crowd-pleasing!
- This classic, crowd-pleasing Fruit Pizza has a cookie dough crust, dreamy cream cheese frosting and a colorful top layer of fruit and a tasty glaze. Great appetizer/dessert for parties of any kind, any time of the year!
- This delicious Taco Ranch Pasta Salad gets totally devoured at gatherings, no matter the season.
- Sausage Cheese Dip is easy to make (let your crockpot do the work for you!), cheesy, flavorful and totally irresistible! Serve as an appetizer at your next party and it won’t last long. Only 6 ingredients required for this delicious party food!
- This is the best 7-Layer Taco Dip you’ll ever meet! It’s the perfect appetizer and party food and it is always the first thing to get devoured.
- These Crockpot Meatballs require only a few ingredients with only a few minutes of prep. They are SO EASY to make, totally packed with delicious flavor and great for game-day parties or holidays. Let your slow cooker do all of the work for you!
- This hot Spinach Artichoke Dip is a party staple! People always get excited about this dip and its so easy to make! It’s a filling, cheesy snack or appetizer that you can put on pita squares, crackers or chips. Let your slow cooker do all of the work for you!
- Easy Chicken Lettuce Wraps are Asian seasoned ground chicken sautéed with mushrooms, green onions and water chestnuts, nestled in lettuce leaves and topped with a spicy hoisin sauce.
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- In a medium bowl, combine mayo, mustard, parsley, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the green and red cabbage and carrots and mix. Add the dressing and stir until coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!