Easy Sauteed Cabbage is the perfect quick and delicious side dish for any meal. Using only a few ingredients and taking 10 minutes of your time, you can’t go wrong with this super flavorful and affordable recipe!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made from this page.
One of my favorite things in the entire world is when a handful of super simple ingredients work together to create a magically delicious and versatile recipe. Sautéed Cabbage is one of those recipes! I mean, who ever thinks cabbage as a deliciously flavorful food?
When you saute cabbage with butter, garlic and seasonings? It is irresistibly delicious and it goes perfectly with any meal.
HOW TO MAKE SAUTEED CABBAGE
Sauteed cabbage is so easy to make as a side dish to any meal! Follow these simple steps:
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the cabbage, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional). Season with salt and pepper.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is starting to brown and garlic is fragrant. Serve warm! THAT’S IT, folks!
HOW TO CARAMELIZE CABBAGE
When you saute green cabbage it transforms into delicious caramelized cabbage. Follow these instructions, friends!
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shredded cabbage and seasonings.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is tender and lightly browned and the garlic is fragrant (this will take 5-7 minutes).
SAUTEED CABBAGE RECIPE NOTES
- Replace all or a portion of the green cabbage with red cabbage. YUM!
- Replace all or a portion of the butter with olive oil. It tastes just as great!
- Cooking cabbage is super easy and will produce one of the easiest, most delicious side dishes you’ll ever make.
- Add herbs of your choice to season this side dish just the way you want it. Add thyme, parsley, cumin, chives, oregano or whatever your heart desires!
HOW TO CUT CABBAGE
Remove and discard the outermost leaves and cut the very bottom of the stem off. Place the head of cabbage on its end where you cut and slice down the center vertically. Cut each half lengthwise.
Remove the core and stem by cutting a wedge out of each quarter. Place each cabbage quarter onto a flat portion so it is lying flat and slice 1/4-inch strips, creating shredded cabbage.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN CABBAGE
One cup of shredded cabbage contains approximately 17 calories.
HOW MANY CARBS IN CABBAGE
One cup of shredded cabbage contains approximately 4 grams of carbohydrates.
CAN DOGS EAT CABBAGE
All types of cabbage are not only safe for dogs to eat, but are actually beneficial. It aids in digestion and can help to fight disease. Be warned, however, that cabbage can produce gas, so feed it to your dog in small quantities for this reason.
WHICH SEASONINGS GO BEST WITH SAUTEED CABBAGE
I tend to stick with the simplest-is-best philosophy when it comes to seasoning vegetables. I love adding salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper for an added kick.
However, there are many other spices to explore in this delicious world of ours, so here are a few other flavors that will taste great with sauteed cabbage:
- Celery Seed
- Red pepper flakes
RECIPES TO MAKE USING CABBAGE
Cabbage is SO SIMPLE yet so deliciously versatile! There’s a variety of yummy dishes that it tastes absolutely delicious with, including Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup, Reuben Grilled Cheese and well, the simple cabbage side you find here!
OTHER DELICIOUS HEALTHY SIDE DISHES DONE IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS
Putting together a vegetable side for your meal should be easy and delicious. Mix up your go-to vegetable with one of these flavorful options!
- This Easy Coleslaw contains shredded cabbage, creamy vinaigrette dressing and it’s not loaded down with mayo! This will be your go-to slaw for a dinner side, picnic fare and fish tacos!
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob – Make a favorite summer finger food in your Instant Pot: Perfectly cooked corn on the cob EVERY SINGLE TIME. Let your pressure cooker simplify meal-time so you can enjoy every morsel of summer.
- Roasted Vegetables are super easy and it results in a deliciously crispy, flavorful side dish. This recipe will turn veggie haters into veggie lovers! Swap out vegetables in this recipe for any you might have on hand, such as cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms or onions.é
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pomegranate Seeds is perfect as a solo party appetizer or a side dish to any meal. The sweet and savory flavors are complementary and so delicious!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage, garlic, cayenne pepper (if using), salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage has softened and garlic is fragrant. Serve warm!