Homemade Chicken and Dumplings made EASY. The light and flaky biscuits atop the creamy chicken soup filled with perfectly cooked vegetables help make this classic recipe great for a warm and comforting dinner great for any season! So make a batch of this creamy soup for today then freeze some for another day.
I hope all of you mothers had a fabulous day yesterday! I got spoiled. My boys let me sleep in and I was awakened by the two cutest smiley faces on the planet. That was followed by breafast in bed and a tickling session. It was a day to remember!
Today I have been planning dinners for the week. New things, of course, because it is rare that I make the same thing twice. But really, all I want to do is make this Chicken and Dumplings recipe again because it was sooooo good. And EASY. A lot of Chicken and Dumplings recipes are complicated (or at least too complicated for ME), involving making dough from scratch. This one does not require dough-making and is done in less than 40 minutes. I am adding it to my favorites list…a huge endorsement!
Get out a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan and add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
Cook until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
Add shredded chicken (tear meat from a Rotisserie chicken to make it easy!), chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and water.
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Open a can of refrigerated biscuits and cut each one into 4 equal parts.
Throw the dough chunks into the Dutch oven/saucepan.
Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
And that’s it! Dinner is done! A perfect biscuit to serve alongside this to sop up more of that great sauce are these gluten-free biscuits that Mama Gourmand shared with me. Enjoy!
Sprinkle with a bit of chopped parsley and serve warm!
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 med carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 16.3 oz refrigerated biscuits each biscuit cut into 4 equal pieces
- fresh flat-leaf parsley for topping
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken soup, water and shredded chicken. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the biscuit pieces. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with parsley, if desired, and serve warm.