This EASY 5 Ingredient Chili recipe requires is a super comforting dish that is packed with flavor and requires only 30 minutes of your time.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made from this page.
It is hard to write about any chili other than my favorite chili recipe because that one really is the best. But I’ve been pondering lately the sad dilemma that involves not having the time to make a full-blown vat of homemade chili.
What if you want to enjoy a comforting bowl of chili without the time commitment? Throwing a football watch party? Have extra family in town?
In these situations, this 5 Ingredient Chili recipe is the best option because it takes less than 30 minutes to throw together and you can count the number of ingredients on one hand.
I strolled past the canned chili in the grocery store, eyeing it with skepticism and considering whether or not it was worth my time. I grabbed two of the most bland-looking cans I could find, followed by literally FOUR other ingredients and I headed home.
Thirty minutes later I was enjoying a bowl of chili that no one would have ever known had a lineage rooted in “canned chili with beans.” So here’s my endorsement, and I don’t endorse things unless I really believe in them: This Easy Chili is the most delicious QUICK AND EASY chili recipe you will find!
HOW TO MAKE 5 INGREDIENT CHILI
You would probably be capable of making this easy chili while blind-folded, but please don’t actually try that. The following is what you will need to do to throw a batch of easy chili together:
In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook 1 pound of ground beef, ground sausage or ground turkey over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink.
Add 1 chopped white or yellow onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
If there is not enough grease from the meat and the mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan while the veggies are cooking.
Add one can of diced tomatoes and 2 cans of chili with beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into serving bowls and serve immediately! Top with cheese, if desired.
- Use ground pork (in place of beef) for added flavor.
- Use canned tomatoes with herbs or flavorings, such as chopped onions and garlic. You can never get enough onion and garlic, people.
- Simmering this chili for more than 20 minutes is definitely doable and may result in an even more flavorful meal.
- Add chopped red bell peppers to the onion-garlic mixture for extra crunch and flavor.
- Add a can of drained and rinsed kidney beans or black beans for added flavor.
- Throw in some garlic powder and/or chili powder for extra yum!
- Open a can of diced roasted green chilies for amazing flavor!
- A 15-ounce can of tomato sauce or 8-10 ounces of tomato juice will add a TON of flavor!
- If opting to use ground turkey, add a tablespoon of olive oil beforehand to help cook and brown the turkey.
WHAT TO TOP 5 INGREDIENT CHILI WITH
A bowl of chili is the perfect template for delicious toppings! Consider any or all of the following:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Crushed saltine crackers
CAN I MAKE CHILI IN A SLOW COOKER?
Yes! Cook the meat, onion, red peppers and garlic as directed and add it to your crock pot along with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high heat for 4 hours.
CAN I MAKE CHILI IN AN INSTANT POT?
Yes and it is soooo good made in a pressure cooker, but I highly recommend following this Instant Pot Chili recipe if you go that route.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER 5 INGREDIENT CHILI
If you have leftovers, and it’s very possible that you will because this makes a large batch, please check out these delicious recipes to help use them up:
OTHER COMFORT FOOD RECIPES TO MAKE THIS WEEK
If you are looking for other delicious comfort food recipes to feed the masses, you have come to the right place. Here is a teeny-tiny list of some of my favorite comforting meals that are always a hit:
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #PIPANDEBBY. I’d love to see what you cook!
5 Ingredient Easy Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef or sausage
- 1 white onion or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 30 oz chili with beans
- cheddar cheese shredded, for topping
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the beef (or sausage) over medium heat until no longer pink. Add onion and garlic and cook until veggies are soft and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. If there is not enough grease from the meat and mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan while veggies are cooking.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chili and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into serving bowls and serve immediately! Top with cheese, if desired.