This Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is super easy and comforting and it can be tossed right into your slow cooker!
I don’t know what it is about cabbage. I love it. It’s so simple and it has a mellow flavor. What makes it so irresistible? Every time I watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie’s mom says, “Cabbage Soup for dinner…again..” I think, “Jealous!”
A few weeks ago, on Saint Patrick’s Day to be exact, Dan and I made a delicious Reuben Grilled Cheese Sandwich to share because we’re festive like that. That sandwich reminded me of my love for cabbage.
Then there’s this Sauteed Cabbage that I’ve recently fallen in love with. So guess what kind of streak I’m on now. Charlie’s family would not want to feast with us.
How To Make Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
In a large skillet, cook cabbage, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper for 7-10 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft.
Add to a large slow cooker along with corned beef brisket (sprinkle the seasoning that comes with it RIGHT on top of that slab of meat), baby red potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth and water.
Cook on Low heat for 7-8 hours. Remove the brisket from the crockpot and cut it into bite-size pieces.
Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until meat is warmed through. Serve to cabbage-loving bellies!
- This is a FATTY piece of meat, so take the time to remove and discard the fat before returning the meat to the crockpot. Your choppers will thank you for heeding this advice.
How To Add Flavor To Soup
Check out these tips to learn how to add flavor to your next batch of soup!
What To Serve With Soup
Soup is an easy, comforting meal to prepare for dinner any time of the year. But what do you serve alongside it? Click over for 33 delicious ideas about what to serve with soup.
What To Serve With Cabbage
So many main course options as well as secondary sides pair perfectly with it! If you are searching for that perfect recipe to pair it with, read on for some great ideas about what to serve with cabbage.
Included in the article is recipes for Reuben sandwiches, tacos, corned beef, potatoes, lamb, pork chops and more!
Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 lb. corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 8 baby red potatoes cut into small chunks
- 4 carrots sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 32 oz. container chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cabbage is soft and onions are fragrant.
- Add mixture to a large crockpot, along with corned beef brisket (sprinkle seasoning over top of the meat), potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth and water. If the veggies are not completely covered by liquid, add water until they are.
- Cook on Low heat for 7-8 hours. Remove corned beef from crockpot and place on a cutting board. Cut into small chunks, removing and discarding fat. Return meat chunks to the crockpot and cook for an additional 10 minutes.