Introducing the marriage of two of my most favorite sandwiches: the Reuben and the grilled cheese! Best lunch or dinner EVER!
I am slowly emerging from a flu stupor. I got hit hard. Not much has looked appetizing for the past 48 hours, but photos of this sandwich make my mouth water. If you know me well, you know that I LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches. I love anything Reuben, too, so what better way to enjoy both? The homemade, EASY sauerkraut gives it an added touch of awesomeness. You have to try this!
Chop up some cabbage. Red or green, and approximately 2 cups worth.
Throw it into a bowl along with kosher salt, sugar and cider vinegar.
Mix well and cover. Let sit for 1 hour. You will be pleasantly surprised when you taste how far it has come in that time.
Build the sandwiches according to below directions. Enjoy! Wishing you all a healthy, good start to your week!
Check out this roundup of delicious options to serve with reuben sandwiches!
What To Eat With Sauerkraut – 17 delicious ideas!
You either love sauerkraut or you don’t. With its distinctively strong flavor, it may be hard to know what to eat alongside it. Click over for 17 delicious ideas about what to eat with sauerkraut.
How To Cook Sauerkraut From a Bag
Sauerkraut is a low-calorie, easy side dish for any meal. Learn how to cook sauerkraut from a bag quickly and easily so it can make any dinner shine!
Reuben Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 slices white or wheat bread
- 4 tbsp. salted butter at room temperature
- 4 tbsp. thousand island dressing
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (or 4 slices)
- 7 oz. sliced corn beef
- In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Place the bread slices on a flat work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter evenly over one side of each slice of bread. Flip the buttered bread slices over and spread 1 tablespoon of thousand island dressing over each.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Layer each sandwich as follows: Slice of bread, butter side down, dressing side up, 1/4 cup cheese, half of the corned beef, half of the cabbage, 1/4 cup cheese and slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place sandwiches onto the hot skillet. Cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom layer of cheese begins to melt around the edges. Cut in half and serve!