Mint Chocolate Brownies: Delicious mint frosting sandwiched between perfect, chocolatey brownies and creamy chocolate. Take your next pan of brownies to the next level by combining fudgy and minty! Perfect party food or dinner dessert!
The marriage of mint and chocolate nearly rivals that of peanut butter and chocolate, in my opinion. Peppermint patties, Junior Mints and Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies are some of the best dang little dessert treats on the planet. Once I start eating any one of the above I lose all self-control. With St. Patrick’s Day approaching, I wanted to bring these two delicious flavors into an irresistible brownie. Because everyone likes eating minty green food to celebrate St. Patty’s Day, right? The brownie base is so perfect and fudgy, topped a minty green frosting and a final top layer of creamy dreamy chocolate. Mint Chocolate Brownie perfection!
Watch this quick video to see how to make Mint Chocolate Brownies!
Enjoy the step-by-step video tutorial we have created for this recipe! Our goal is to make your time in the kitchen as easy as possible and to ensure that your version of this recipe is a success. See our full collection of cooking and baking videos on YouTube!
STEP 2 – MAKE THE FROSTING
In a large bowl, mix (using whisk attachments) the butter with a hand-held or stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar until just combined. Add the milk, peppermint extract and food coloring (if using) and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spread in an even layer over the cooled brownies.
STEP 3 – MAKE THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
Combine the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals in the microwave (stirring after each) until creamy and free of lumps. Pour the chocolate over the top of the mint frosting and spread in an even layer. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, cut into squares and serve!
The BEST Mint Buttercream Frosting
Don’t get me wrong, the chocolatey brownies in this recipe are FANTASTIC. But I must say that the Mint Buttercream Frosting is the star of the show. It is delectable, minty, irresistible and it should not be limited to just this recipe. Spread it over chocolate cupcakes, chocolate cake or chocolate cookies! There are only 4 simple ingredients required to make Mint Buttercream Frosting, plus green food coloring, if you’re looking to be festive. Which brings me to..
How to achieve mint green color in frosting
If you are hoping to get that nice mint green color to match your mint frosting, it is super easy to accomplish. If using liquid food coloring, play around with yellow and blue until you’ve reached the desired color. The best and easiest way I’ve found to find that perfect minty hue is by using a combination of green and neon green gel coloring. I used approximately 1/2 teaspoon of each for the recipe shown in the photos.
How to store brownies
Cover brownie leftovers tightly and store at room temperature for 3-4 days, or refrigerated for 6-7 days. If you want to freeze the brownies, place in a sealed container and freeze for up to 6 months.
What is a good dessert to bring to dinner?
Mint Chocolate Brownies are the PERFECT dinner dessert, but if you are looking for other ideas, check these recipes out:
Enjoy the delicious Mint Chocolate Brownies, whether you are celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day or any other day of the year!
Mint Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Green food coloring if desired
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
MAKE THE BROWNIES
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until creamy and free of lumps. Add the melted chocolate and mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Gradually add to the butter-sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
MAKE THE FROSTING
- In a large bowl, mix (using whisk attachments) the butter with a hand-held or stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar until just combined. Add the milk, peppermint extract and food coloring (if using) and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spread in an even layer over the cooled brownies.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- Combine the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals in the microwave (stirring after each) until creamy and free of lumps. Pour the chocolate over the top of the mint frosting and spread in an even layer. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, cut into squares and serve!