Free up space on your stove top by preparing green beans in your Instant Pot quickly and perfectly! Enjoy these crunchy-tender, healthy beans as a side dish for any meal. They cook perfectly every single time!
I’m all about removing pans from my stove because the fewer things cooking on the stove top, the better. It is SO slick to throw an easy side dish such as Instant Pot Green Beans into an Instant Pot while I tend to other recipes that need more attention.
I grabbed a bunch of fresh green beans from the farmer’s market last weekend and decided to pressure cook the entire batch to snack on for lunches and dinners throughout the week.
This is by FAR my favorite way to cook green beans. The Instant Pot works its beautiful magic and steams them perfectly and consistently every single time. They are guilt-free, quick and easy, tasty, addicting and perfect to sit alongside literally any type of meal.
HOW TO COOK FRESH GREEN BEANS IN AN INSTANT POT
Set Instant Pot to saute. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 4 cloves minced garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Add the salt, pepper and 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of fresh green beans and give the mixture a stir. Pour 1 cup of water over the top.
Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 0 minutes on low pressure (use the pressure cook setting). It will take the pot around 10 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
When cooking is done, do a quick release and allow the float valve to drop. Transfer the green beans to a serving dish and serve immediately!
- If frozen green beans are all you have on hand, increase cook time to 2 minutes on low pressure.
- To make more than 6 servings, double the recipe! It works great as a large batch, too.
- Replace the butter with the same amount of olive oil, if desired.
- Replace the water with chicken broth for an even more flavorful side dish.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN GREEN BEANS
There are approximately 30 calories in 1 cup of green beans (minus butter it may be cooked with).
HOW MANY CARBS IN GREEN BEANS
There are approximately 7 grams of carbohydrates in 1 cup of green beans.
CAN DOGS EAT GREEN BEANS
Green beans are a nutritious vegetable that is low in calories, making it a great food for dog consumption. They are actually recommended by vets as a nutritious treat!
ARE GREEN BEANS GOOD FOR YOU?
Green beans are a low calorie food good for snacking or side dishes. They are a good source of vitamins C and K, as well as iron, fiber and folate.
HOW TO FREEZE GREEN BEANS
Green beans freeze best when they are fresh (before cooking). And blanching is not necessary! After rinsing them, trim the ends and cut them so they are 2 inches in length or less. Make sure they are totally dry before placing them into a resealable freezer bag. Freeze for up to 6 months!
When you are ready to thaw, let them sit in the fridge until defrosted. Or cook them frozen!
HOW TO SEASON GREEN BEANS
Butter or oil, salt and pepper is a great place to start when seasoning green beans! To take them to the next level, consider cooking them with fresh minced garlic or garlic powder, as well. Cooking green beans with bacon makes a delicious combo!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
You are in luck if you are on the search for a delicious green bean casserole! This recipe will win everyone at the table over!
DELICIOUS HEALTHY SIDE DISH OPTIONS
Don’t stop with Sauteed Cabbage. Check out a few of my other favorite easy, healthy sides!
- Roasted Parmesan Green Beans
- Vegetable Rice Summer Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples
- Cauliflower Mushroom Rice
BEST RECIPES TO MAKE IN AN INSTANT POT
The list of recipes you can make in an Instant Pot is endless! It can act as a slow cooker, saute pan, steamer, rice maker, yogurt maker and pressure cooker. It can cook soup, chili, pasta, meat, potatoes, veggies, cake, beans and so much more. Here are a few of my favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Best Chili Ever
- Chicken Burrito Bowls in an Instant Pot
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Spaghetti in an Instant Pot
HOW TO CLEAN AN INSTANT POT
Keep your Instant Pot shiny, clean and scent-free by following these simple steps:
- EXTERIOR – Use a clean, damp cloth to wipe down any grease or gunk on the outside of the Instant Pot. Use a brush or the edge of a clean cloth to reach inside the rim to remove food that may have gotten stuck in the grooves. The exterior “housing” should never ever be immersed in liquid or run underwater.
- INNER POT – The stainless steel inner pot can be hand-washed OR run through a dishwasher. See below tips for deep cleaning when needed.
- COVER – The inside of the IP cover can usually just be wiped down with a clean cloth after use. If there is food stuck to the inside of the cover, remove the sealing ring and run the cover under hot water and scrub with a brush or cloth.
- SEALING RING – The sealing ring can be easily removed from the Instant Pot and hand-washed with warm, soapy water OR run through a dishwasher when needed.
- TRIVET – The trivet that is inserted into the Instant Pot can be scrubbed with a brush, hand-washed with warm, soapy water or run through a dishwasher.
- DEEP CLEAN – If the inner pot starts to show signs that it needs a deep cleaning (cloudiness or discoloration), pour either 2 cups of white vinegar OR 2 cups of water plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into the pot. Place the cover on the pot and set to STEAM for 3 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally and remove the cover. Remove sealing ring and inner pot and allow to air dry.
Instant Pot Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2-2 pounds fresh green beans ends trimmed
- 1 cup water
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add the butter and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Add the salt, pepper and green beans and give the mixture a stir. Pour the water over the top.
- Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 0 minutes on low pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 10 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
- When cooking is done, do a quick release and allow the float valve to drop.
- Transfer the green beans to a serving dish and serve immediately!