Jalapeño Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts is one of my favorite chicken dishes of all time! Stuffing yummy ingredients into the middle of the chicken adds a nice spicy kick. Change up your go-to chicken recipe with this easy, creamy and totally delicious dinner option!
Some days I picture myself in a Family Circus comic, where you can see the path of footprints through the house with all of the unnecessary turns and stops all the way through. If I tracked my steps around this house in a single day, it would be hilarious! Back, forth, around in circles, up, down, repeat. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE IT. I love being at home with my boys, and even on the rough days I feel like I appreciate almost every little moment with them. There will be a day when I will miss this circus, and I always try to remember that.
So here, as I imagine my comic strip, in my circus-like kitchen, with the performers doing acrobatics around me, I made this totally yummy stuffed chicken. I loved how easy it was to make because it turned out sooo good, you guys! And not “too” spicy (i.e., not too spicy to serve to guests). But easily made more spicy at the same time for those of you who love the heat. This is one of those really great recipes that you will make again and again.
HOW TO MAKE JALAPENO STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
I hope you enjoy this low-carb chicken - it's a perfect dinner recipe!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish or rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Grab a sharp knife and slice into the middle of each of the chicken breasts, cutting a slit horizontally. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the other side.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add jalapenos and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add cream cheese to the skillet and stir until cheese is melted. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
Divide the mixture between the 6 breasts and spoon into openings. Cinch the ends and secure with toothpicks. Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove toothpicks and serve warm.
- You are simply making a pocket into the chicken breast so be gentle when slicing.
- You will want to use larger chicken breasts in this recipe. Chicken thighs won't work as well.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese with the cream cheese for a delicious cheesy mixture!
- This cream cheese mixture is delicious but here are some great variations to the recipe to mix into the cream cheese: Chop up some spinach or steamed broccoli and mix in. Make sure the broccoli florets are chopped up nice and small to fit well into the mixture. Diced mushrooms would be delicious for those who enjoy them. Add diced roasted red peppers into the mixture.
- Replace a portion of the cream cheese with sour cream.
- Add a few slices of bacon (chopped) pieces to the cream cheese.
- One of these stuffed breasts wrapped in bacon would be delicious! Add 10 minutes to the cooking time!
- Create a tin foil "tent" to wrap around the stuffed side of the breast if you are concerned about the contents leaking out. Be sure to spray the foil first with cooking spray!
Chop the jalapeno in half and remove the seeds, then you can dice or slice your jalapeno. However if you want more heat, then you can leave some in. The heat from jalapenos is stored in the oil of the skin and the seeds so be sure to wear gloves!
HOW TO REDUCE THE SPICE IN JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED CHICKEN
This is not a super spicy recipe. The combined mixture of cream cheese and cheddar cheese reduces the heat from the chopped jalapenos, but simply halve or remove the chopped jalapenos from the recipe and you can still enjoy tons of great flavor in this meal.
And if you can’t get ENOUGH spice, go make these Jalapeno Poppers! If you are a fan of stuffed chicken, then Mama Gourmand shares this delicious looking meal where you take the ever popular spinach artichoke dip and create it into a main dish that is sure to be enjoyed. Head over to Mama Gourmand and check out the Spinach Artichoke Chicken recipe.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN A CHICKEN BREAST
There are approximately 90 calories in one chicken breast.
HOW MUCH PROTEIN IN CHICKEN BREAST
There are approximately 16 grams of protein in one chicken breast.
HOW MANY CARBS IN CHICKEN BREAST
There are 0 grams of crabohydrates in one chicken breast.
HOW TO STORE STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Got leftovers? Add them into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
HOW TO REHEAT STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
To reheat, I advise doing so in the oven vs the microwave. Place the stuffed breasts into a baking dish and place into a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH CHICKEN BREAST
if you are looking to continue with a low-carb meal, then prepare these tasty and healthy Zoodles and Mushrooms! Easy Peasy Asparagus is also going to pair perfectly. Feta Mashed Potatoes, Caprese Pasta Salad or Perfect Instant Pot Rice are also excellent side dish options!
RICE COOKER VS. INSTANT POT FOR MAKING RICE
Both rice cookers and electric pressure cookers cook rice in the same way. Both use steam inside the pot to cook the rice. The main difference is that a pressure cooker has a sealing ring inside the lid that prevents any steam from escaping during the cooking process. This allows the appliance to maintain pressure levels inside the pot with greater accuracy, therefore cooking it more quickly.
Shortened cook time is an advantage when using an Instant Pot and typically it requires a bit less liquid than when using a rice cooker. However, if you are planning to cook a variety of different types such as wild, black or basmati rice frequently, a rice cooker might be the better option for you. Plus, rice cookers are more affordable and will take up less valuable counter space.
IS RINSING RICE IMPORTANT?
I don't always take the time to rinse the rice before cooking it, but it should definitely be a part of the rice-making process. Simply add the rice to a fine mesh strainer and run cold water over it, tossing it around a bit using your fingers to get a thorough rinse. This process will ensure that there is no extra debris stuck to the rice. It also removes the starch, which will prevent your final product from being clumpy.
DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES
I like to buy bulk chicken packs at Costco - both chicken breasts and thighs work. It's affordable and so versatile for cooking! Here's some great ways to put that chicken to use.
- Chicken Rice Bake - Chicken Rice Bake is made in one pan and packed with delicious flavor. This easy dinner is packed with a variety of textures and it is the perfect family dinner to make any night of the week. Guaranteed to become a favorite!
- Grilled Chicken and Veggies in Foil - This Whole30 Grilled Chicken and Veggies is the easiest and healthiest summer grilling recipe! Throw a few ingredients into a piece of foil and throw it on the grill.
- Artichoke Chicken Rice Skillet - This Artichoke Chicken Rice Skillet is the PERFECT, easy weeknight dinner. With the saltiness of green olives and some swiss cheese mixed in, this skillet recipe has all the flavors! It has a great texture and this tasty meal will not disappoint!
- Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken - Cook a tender, perfectly roasted whole chicken in your Instant Pot in less than an hour! This recipe turns out perfectly every time. Perfect for an easy dinner or to have on hand for added protein in your salads throughout the week.
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken - You need to try this mixture on a bun because it’s an addicting and delicious lunch or dinner option that everyone will enjoy. Great weeknight meal AND the perfect party food!
- One-Pan Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole - Dinner has never been easier! NO PREP is required for this quick and delicious Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. Simplify those busy weeknights by adding this hearty meal to the dinner rotation!
- Easy Classic Chicken Alfredo - Easy, creamy Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo is the perfect dinner recipe for busy nights. Done in 30 minutes and made in a single pan, everyone at the table will love this comforting dish!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice - A perfect weeknight dinner, this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe boasts flavor, veggies and rice all in one dish. Kids and adults love it! So delicious and easy, making dinner a breeze while also filling everyone at the table up.
Jalapeno Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Cream Cheese
- 6 chicken breasts fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In each of the chicken breasts, cut a slit horizontally without going all the way through to the other side.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add jalapenos and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add cream cheese to the skillet and stir until cheese is melted. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Divide the mixture between the 6 breasts and spoon into openings. Seal the ends and secure with toothpicks. Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove toothpicks and serve warm.