Steel cut oats and apples cook PERFECTLY in a pressure cooker to create this delicious Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. This is a new way to enjoy breakfast, especially in the fall when you have plenty of apples on hand. Put a hot, healthy breakfast on the table in under 30 minutes!
We’ve had this strange change of tastes in our house when it comes to breakfast foods. All of the things my boys used to enjoy in the morning are no longer enjoyed. My twelve-year-old doesn’t even like bacon anymore. I mean, whose kid is he??
I have had to get really creative in the mornings because sugary cereal and pop-tarts cannot be consumed daily.
My boys will eat oatmeal, but they’re getting more selective about the filler ingredients. I have a bunch of apples on hand in preparation for FALL BAKING (my favorite thing!) so I told them I was making them apple pie oatmeal.
They were intrigued. So they ate. It was devoured. Next up? Pumpkin pie oatmeal. Stay tuned.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT APPLE OATMEAL
Enjoy oatmeal the quick and easy way by preparing it in your pressure cooker!
Generously spray the inside of the Instant Pot with cooking spray or butter. Add the following ingredients to the pot and stir:
Steel cut oats
Apples peeled, cored and chopped
Lght brown sugar
Apple cider or juice
Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 10 minutes on high pressure (use the pressure cook setting). It will take the electric pressure cooker around 15 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
When cook time is up, do a quick release and allow the float valve to drop. Serve immediately!
RECIPE NOTES: INSTANT POT APPLE OATMEAL
To make this an even more healthy breakfast, replace the brown sugar with 3 tablespoons of honey and eliminate the butter from the recipe.
If you use rolled oats in place of steel cut oats, use 1 cup of almond milk and 1/2 cup of apple juice or cider.
If desired, replace all or some of the liquids in the recipe with up to 1 1/2 cups of water.
Delicious toppings for this oatmeal: maple syrup, cinnamon, chopped fresh apples or honey.
IS OATMEAL GLUTEN FREE
Yes, pure oatmeal is gluten free. However, be sure to read the label on your oats to make sure they were not packaged in a facility that handles wheat products because they could be contaminated.
IS OATMEAL GOOD FOR YOU
Oats are one of the healthiest grains you can eat! They are a great source of fiber and vitamins and they are also gluten free.
CAN DOGS EAT OATMEAL
When it is cooked and no sugar has been added, oatmeal is a great food for dogs especially if constipation is an issue.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN OATMEAL
There are 158 calories in one cup of regular cooked oatmeal. There are 272 calories in one cup of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal.
HOW MANY CARBS IN OATMEAL
There are 27 grams of carbohydrates in one cup of regular cooked oatmeal. There are 46 grams of carbs in one cup of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal.
WHAT TYPES OF APPLES TASTE GOOD IN INSTANT POT APPLE OATMEAL
I recommend using a variety of apples and at the very least, use two kinds: one sweet and one tart. My favorite combo is Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples.
Sweet/Softer Apple Brands
Tart (or a little Sour) Apple Brands
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN APPLE JUICE AND APPLE CIDER
There are a few differences between these two delicious apple drinks but on the outside, they don’t appear very different. They have similar coloring and some companies even interchange the names cider and juice.
But while your toddler might love a little apple juice in the day, apple cider just signifies fall and outdoor crisp air and a special flavor brought out in the process of making it fresh early in the season with the first batches of apples.
Apple Juice is pasteurized and filtered to remove pulp and sediment. This helps apple juice stay fresh longer. Whereas you don’t usually see a clear juice when you’ve had a cup of of cider. You’ll notice it’s opaque, cloudy looking and there’s a little texture to it with spices added to enhance the drink.
FALL APPLE RECIPES
- Easy Homemade Crockpot Applesauce is fun to prepare because it’s so easy to make. Use an assortment of green and red apples and you’ll have a flavorful snack you can enjoy; better than the store stuff!
- This is the best Apple Coffee Cake recipe you’ll find. Enjoy as an indulgent breakfast treat or an any-time snack or dessert!
- Easy Baked Apples – The smell of baking apples swirled in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon will make your house smell AMAZING. Enjoy the smells as you anticipate a delicious fall treat that is easy to prepare.
- You have just met your new favorite fall drink! Instant Pot Apple Cider will warm you up on those chilly fall days. It is super easy to make, requiring just a handful of ingredients and minimal effort and cleanup.
- Instant Pot Applesauce – Make your next batch of applesauce in your Instant Pot for an added touch of delicious flavor! This recipe requires only a handful of ingredients and takes just a few minutes to make.
Instant Pot Apple Oatmeal
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- Generously spray the inside of the Instant Pot with cooking spray or butter. Add all of the ingredients to the pot and stir.
- Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 10 minutes on high pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 15 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
- When cooking is done, do a quick release and allow the float valve to drop. Allow the oatmeal to sit for a few minutes to thicken up and settle and then serve!
- To make this an even more healthy breakfast, replace the brown sugar with 3 tablespoons of honey and eliminate the butter from the recipe.
- If you use rolled oats in place of steel cut oats, use 1 cup of almond milk and 1/2 cup of apple juice or cider.
- If desired, replace all or some of the liquids in the recipe with up to 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Delicious toppings for this oatmeal: maple syrup, cinnamon, chopped fresh apples or honey.