This Crockpot Applesauce recipe is the perfect fall treat. Let your slow cooker do the work so kids and adults can enjoy a healthy snack!
Original post: September 2014 | Updated: September 2020
Why This Recipe Works
Apple season is here, people, it’s HERE! If you have followed my blog for long, you know that I am mildly obsessed with apples. Every year when September rolls around, I bake and cook with apples and swirl them through streams of delicious caramel and make crockpot applesauce by the truckload.
This homemade applesauce is THE BEST. My 13-year-old, who has been eating this very recipe for years, just yesterday told me that it is the “best applesauce he has ever eaten in his life.” Every time I make a huge batch, it lasts two days in my fridge. Two. Days.
Did I mention how incredible my house smells while it’s cooking? Better than any scented candle.
Apples – Use medium baking apples such as honeycrisp, gala, golden delicious, jonagold or granny smith. A mix of sweet and tart apples will bring a lot of dimension to the flavor of the pie.
Brown Sugar – If you prefer, you can add more naturally sweet apples and reduce the amount of brown sugar you added. Other sugar substitutes that would be great are maple syrup, coconut sugar or stevia.
How To Make Applesauce In The Crock Pot
Peel, core and slice 10-12 medium apples. Throw them into a crockpot along with brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and water.
Cook for 5 hours on high heat. Stir occasionally.
Cover and refrigerate. The sauce should be placed in a mason jar or airtight container. It stays in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (but won’t last that long, I promise).
- If you love more complex flavors, you could add a little of each of the following (no more than 1/2 teaspoon each): nutmeg, pumpkin spice, allspice and cloves.
- I use a potato masher to make the mixture a little less chunky after it’s done cooking down. An immersion blender or blender would make the consistency even smoother.
- If you like this, then you’ll also love Apple Butter!
How To Store and Freeze Applesauce
Once the applesauce has cooled and you have ensured its perfection, ladle into an airtight container or mason jars. They will hold more than you think!
If you prefer to freeze it, it’s easy peasy! Ladle into an air-tight container such as doubled freezer bags or plastic storage containers. Freeze for up to 6 months!
Best Apples To Use To Make Applesauce
There are so many brands of apples and everyone has a different favorite! But when making applesauce you want a variety of flavors but also consider that you want them to be softer so they cook down well into the sauce you desire. Here’s some suggestions to mix together:
Sweet/Softer Apple Brands
- Red Delicious
- Golden Delicious
Tart (or a little Sour) Apple Brands
- Granny Smith
- Ida Red
Crock Pot Applesauce Makes A Great Gift Idea!
Do you know anyone who loves apples? Share applesauce with loved ones, a neighbor or a teacher. It makes a great fall gift! Grab a mason jar and you can add a fun label to let them know you made them some homemade applesauce.
I just had to include this oldie of my boys from years ago that makes my heart swoon..
FAQ About Apples
Good news! Apples are very good for you! Apples are high in dietary fiber and pectin found in the peels of the apples. One medium apple contains approximately 95 calories.
Dogs can eat apples, as they are a nutritious snack for dogs. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, helping immunity and providing other benefits.
Apples do not align with a keto diet. One medium apple contains more than 20 g of carbs, making it too carb-heavy for this low-carb eating plan.
Apples can be frozen! They can be frozen whole for up to 9 months, or prepare applesauce, pie filling or entire pies and freeze them that way instead.
When baking with apples, use a variety of apples. At the very least, use two kinds: one sweet and one tart. My personal favorite combo is Granny Smith apples and Honeycrisp apples.
Other Great Apple Recipes
- Caramel apples are the perfect fall or Halloween treat. They are SO easy to make using a few ingredients and done in minutes.
- Instant Pot Pork and Apples is the perfect fall dinner. It requires only a few ingredients and it is finished in 30 minutes!
- Make apple pie filling in your Instant Pot quickly and easily! Throw this delicious sweet pie filling into your next apple pie for a perfect holiday or any time dessert. Having a batch in your freezer makes pie-making SO EASY!
- Apple Carrot Cake Muffins – Apples and carrots create the most delicious little muffin you could ever imagine. Great as a snack, breakfast or dessert!
- The only thing better than salted caramel apples is Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake! This is the perfect fall treat and a great way to use up any type of apples.
- Transform classic French Toast into an appley indulgence! Prepare this easy Apple French Toast Bake recipe the night before to avoid morning prep!
Did you love this recipe?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Crockpot Applesauce Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 10-12 medium apples peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on high for 5 hours, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate and use within 2 weeks.
I used a potato masher to make the mixture a little less chunky after it’s done cooking down. An immersion blender or blender to puree the sauce would make the consistency even smoother.