Sloppy Joes are super easy and affordable to make, plus they are comforting and delicious! Great easy dinner option any night of the week and they make for a great party food, as well!
It is a shame that I haven’t posted a Sloppy Joe recipe until now. Sloppy Joes were never a staple growing up. I have always loved them, but they’ve never been a meal I think to make in my own kitchen. Well they are now officially in my rotation! These are DELICIOUS! I had one and wanted another and another. I could have eaten six sandwiches in one sitting. They are on the menu again for next week.
And I’m not sure what I was thinking, but I somehow thought Sloppy Joes were complicated. I don’t have time for complicated and complicated they are NOT! They are done in less than 30 minutes and for 20 of those minutes you can paint your nails or sort through the mail. My family loved this recipe and I hope yours does, too!
How To Make Sloppy Joes
In a large skillet, brown the beef over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain excess grease. Add onions and garlic to skillet and cook for 3-4 additional minutes. If mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan.
Reduce heat to medium and add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, water, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Spoon into hamburger buns and top with pickles, if desired. Season with salt and pepper just before sinking your teeth in!
- Peppers and onions make a great pair for sloppy joes, so feel free to add chopped green bell peppers to the mix for added flavor and crunch.
- Additional spices and seasonings to consider adding to the sloppy joe meat would be: garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Consider making this delicious recipe even more delicious by making Instant Pot Sloppy Joes!
What is a Sloppy Joe
A sloppy joe is a sandwich that has a filling made of beef, onions, a tomato product (sauce or ketchup) as well as a handful of other seasonings. The ingredients are cooked together either on the stove top, in a slow cooker or in a pressure cooker and then sandwiched between hamburger buns.
How Many Calories in a Sloppy Joe
There are 490 calories in one sloppy joe sandwich.
How To Freeze Sloppy Joes
Freezing sloppy joe meat is super easy, which makes it one of my favorite things about it! Once it has cooled, spoon it into a resealable freezer bag. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal tightly. Arrange the meat within the bag so that it is in a flat layer. Place the bag in the freezer so that it lies flat. Freeze for 3-4 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the meat allow it to thaw completely, preferably in the fridge overnight. Add the contents to a skillet and heat over medium heat until just heated through. Add a few tablespoons of broth or water, if needed, before spooning it onto buns.
What To Serve With Sloppy Joes
This recipe roundup will provide you with an extensive list of recipe ideas about what to serve with sloppy joes! Whether for a party or dinner, you’ll walk away with a plan.
Comfort Food Recipes
- The Best Meatloaf – You need to make this classic meal. It is my mother’s delicious recipe with an added touch of delicious sauce. This dinner recipe will quickly become a favorite family meal!
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole – Creamy vegetables and chicken baked into a buttery crispy crust that is comfort food perfection especially during the fall and winter months.
- Homestyle Ground Beef Casserole – this dinner boasts flavor and creaminess over a bed of steaming egg noodles. This casserole is just like your mom’s recipe but so much more! This is a perfect hearty weeknight meal to put on the table.
- Instant Pot White Turkey Chili – Packed with turkey meat, white beans and veggies, this comfort food is super flavorful and delicious.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole – This is a delicious combination of the tastiest flavors you will ever eat in a single bite. Bacon, chicken, creamy alfredo sauce and pasta all make dinner a hit in less than 30 minutes!
- Best Baked Ziti – Packed with flavorful meat sauce and layers of cheesy goodness, you will enjoy each flavorful bite. This delicious dinner feeds a lot of people and is super filling and hearty. It is a great meal to freeze and bake at a later time, too!
- Best Instant Pot Chili – This recipe is the absolute perfect comfort food, packed with flavor, texture, color and a tiny bit of spice. Perfect dinner or party food!
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken – You need to try this mixture on a bun because it’s an addicting and delicious lunch or dinner option that everyone will enjoy. Great weeknight meal AND the perfect party food!
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 8 hamburger buns
- Sliced pickles for topping (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain excess grease. Add onions and garlic to skillet and cook for 3-4 additional minutes.
- Add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, water, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into buns and top with pickles, if desired.