Add a little something extra to your batch of brownies! Everyone loves brownies but repurposing some of the candy leftover after trick-or-treating makes them even more delicious. These candy bar brownies are a great way to make a quick after school snack or a fun dessert!
Original recipe posted: November 2015 | Recipe updated: October 2019
Why This Recipe Works
The older our boys get, the more candy we accumulate this time of year. There are more opportunities to get candy and their tummies are more eager. Last week I peeked inside our “candy bowl” and millions of calories were staring back at me. Curses. I have such a hard time resisting candy.
I found a boxed brownie mix in the pantry, mixed it up quick and then tossed ALL of the candy bars into the batter. When these delicious little treats were done, I had a few bites, gave one to my boys to share and GAVE THE REST AWAY!
I love the surprise element involved. Every bite brings a new texture and flavor. And they’re so easy to make! If you don’t have a mix on hand, these simple peanut butter blondies incorporate candy too and are a perfect crowd pleaser!
Brownie mix – Follow the instructions on the box with the ingredients required for the mix.
Mini candy bars – Purchase a bag of mini candy bars if there isn’t a stash of leftover Halloween candy to use up.
How To Make Candy Bar Brownies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously cover cooking spray into a baking dish.
Combine the packaged brownie mix with required ingredients into a large bowl.
Stir in the chopped candy of your choice into the bowl to combine the ingredients. Pour into the prepared pan and bake according to package directions (there is typically a bake time of around 30 minutes).
Add a few more to the top of the brownies, if desired.
The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into the pan comes out clean. Allow the bars to cool completely. Cut the bars into squares and serve!
- Use two smaller pans instead of one 9X13 to create two different mixes of candy bars used!
- Great candy bars to use in this recipe: Twix, Snickers, Milky Way, Hershey’s, Butterfinger, 3 Musketeers or M&M’s
What Candy Is Good In Brownies
You can never go wrong with peanut butter cups or snickers bars. But milky way, a twix bar and m&m’s or toffee bars are fun too. It all depends on your preference. They add a bit of crunch or caramel to the delicious chocolatey treat.
If you have a sweet tooth like we do, and somehow you still have candy sitting in your house, you’ll enjoy making some Leftover Candy Refrigerator Bars that are a no bake recipe. We love Candy Bar Cookies too.
FAQ About Brownies
Fanny Farmer is recorded as having taken a chocolate cookie recipe and adapted it to a chocolate bar recipe in 1905. Brownies are not classified as cake but as a cookie bar. The deep color from the chocolate gave it the name we still use today.
A good brownie should have quality chocolate and a good fat such as oil or butter and then any extras you enjoy biting into such as caramel, candy or nuts!
There is no wrong way to enjoy a brownie but there are three classifications of brownies – fudgy, chewy and cakey.
There are a couple of ways to obtain a more chewy texture in a brownie. You can reduce the egg to 1 instead of 2 usually called for. Also, you can substitute in melted butter instead of oil.
A higher fat to flour ratio helps obtain that fudgy deliciousness you like. A cakey batch has more flour and uses baking powder to leaven the dessert. Butter and chocolate are fats you can use to make a batch of brownies more fudgy.
Best Desserts For Parties
- Vanilla Sheet Cake turns out perfectly every single time. The cake is perfectly moist, flavorful and fluffy and topped with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, making it the perfect party dessert!
- Chocolate Cupcakes are super easy to make and they act as a solid base for any type of frosting. These cupcakes are moist, flavorful and chocolatey, making them the best easy dessert for any occasion!
- Cranberry Bliss Bars are even more delicious than the popular Starbucks treat. A delicious blondie is packed with cranberries, white chocolate chips and a hint of orange and is topped with dreamy cream cheese frosting!
- No Bake Strawberry Pie is a great dessert for gatherings of any kind. It is super easy to prepare and it is packed with delicious strawberry flavor!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats are a simple recipe that comes together quickly and into your families hands making it an easy way to make smiles. Adding chocolate and peanut butter to the classic treat sends this dessert to the moon!
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Candy Bar Brownies Recipe
- 18 oz brownie mix (plus ingredients required for prep, as listed on package)
- 2 cups mini candy bars chopped
- Combine the packaged brownie mix with required ingredients. Stir in the chopped candy. Top with additional candies, if desired.
- Pour into a square baking dish and bake according to package directions. Let cool before cutting into squares.
- Use two smaller pans instead of one 9×13 to create two different mixes of candy bars used!
- Great candy bars to use in this recipe: Twix, Snickers, Milky Way, Hershey’s, Butterfinger, 3 Musketeers or M&M’s.