Chunky and hearty soup for a fall or winter meal. This Classic Crockpot Beef and Barley Soup is easy to make. It’s comfort food at its best!
It’s Halloween week! I love Halloween week! I always make the most of this week, squeezing in as many scary movies/shows as possible. Dan thinks I’m crazy, but he patiently puts up with my obsession. He threatens to make me watch all of the Rambos and Terminators next week, but I know he doesn’t mean it. 🙂
Another obsession of mine right now is fall food! This soup is definitely on my fall comfort food list. It is the BEST! I love it thick and chunky, but feel free to add extra broth or water for a soupier version. You need not look any further for the best beef and barley soup recipe!
I’d really love to chat more, but American Horror Story is calling. Priorities! Have a great Halloween week, friends!
Crockpot Beef and Barley
- Crock Pot
- 1 1/2 lbs. stew meat cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 32 oz. container beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Cook stew meat in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add contents of the skillet to a crockpot along with beef broth, water, barley, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and diced tomatoes. Mix well and cook on High heat for 4-5 hours or Low heat for 7-8 hours.