Chunky and hearty soup for a fall or winter meal. This Classic Crockpot Beef and Barley Soup is easy to make. It’s comfort food at its best!
It’s Halloween week! I love Halloween week! I always make the most of this week, squeezing in as many scary movies/shows as possible. Dan thinks I’m crazy, but he patiently puts up with my obsession. He threatens to make me watch all of the Rambos and Terminators next week, but I know he doesn’t mean it. 🙂
Another obsession of mine right now is fall food! This soup is definitely on my fall comfort food list. It is the BEST! I love it thick and chunky, but feel free to add extra broth or water for a soupier version. You need not look any further for the best beef and barley soup recipe!
I’d really love to chat more, but American Horror Story is calling. Priorities! Have a great Halloween week, friends!
If you love this recipe, you’ll also love the easiest version of Chicken Wild Rice Soup you’ll ever meet! Also these Chicken and Dumplings and my favorite Loaded Potato Soup on the planet!
Crockpot Beef and Barley
- Crock Pot
- 1 1/2 lbs. stew meat cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 32 oz. container beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Cook stew meat in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add contents of the skillet to a crockpot along with beef broth, water, barley, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and diced tomatoes. Mix well and cook on High heat for 4-5 hours or Low heat for 7-8 hours.