These are the BEST Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos you will ever eat! SO GOOD! Making shredded chicken for tacos in the Instant Pot requires only FOUR ingredients. The meat turns out flavorful, tender and juicy every single time. Perfect for taco night!
Why This Recipe Works
I love those types of food that are so popular they have their own night of the week designated for them. There is nothing better than TACO NIGHT. Everyone loves tacos!
They are the perfect easy dinner and also the best party food because everyone can pick and choose toppings. Plus, there are so many dang options for taco toppings!
I have made lots and lots of tacos in my life. Beef, pork, chicken, bean, you name it. But friends, hear me out. I have NEVER made a more delicious, juicy meat for tacos than this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. I could hardly believe it when I took my first bite.
We had guests over to share my first batch with and they swooned. I love how an electric pressure can transform FOUR ingredients into such a memorable and delicious meal.
Check out our web stories to see Pip and Ebby “recipes in action!”
How To Make The Best Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos!
Ahhh, you are going to LOVE this recipe! My first attempt at this recipe was total perfection and I have made it three times since. Best ever!
Rub a packet of taco seasoning over the surfaces of 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Set the Instant Pot to saute. Heat the olive oil and add the chicken to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes per side. Do this in batches, if needed, and transfer chicken to a cutting board while the other breasts cook.
Pour a can of chicken stock or chicken broth into the Instant Pot and deglaze the pot (scrape the bottom with a spoon). Place a trivet into Instant Pot and Place the chicken breasts in a single layer on top of the trivet.
Place the cover on the pot and set the timer to 5 minutes on high pressure (use the pressure cook setting). It will take the Instant Pot around 10 to 12 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
When the cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then set to Quick Release. Let the float valve drop and remove the cover. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken and add it back to the pot. Mix well.
Divide the meat between 8 flour or corn tortillas and top with cheese and toppings of your choice!
- Consider making your own taco seasoning! It’s super affordable (you probably have all of the ingredients sitting in your spice cupboard!) and a little bit really does go a long, long way. Plus you have control over exactly what you are seasoning your meat with. No more store bought taco seasoning, people!
- Swap out the olive oil for vegetable or canola oil, if desired.
- I highly recommend using broth over water for this recipe. It adds a flavor that water could never achieve. In a pinch, though, water works!
- Go crazy with toppings! Sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, lime wedges, avocados, guacamole, salsa and taco sauce are all delicious options!
- Cook the tortillas in a bit of olive oil in a hot skillet for a few minutes per side for a deliciously crispy taco!
- If you only have frozen chicken breasts on hand (and no time to thaw them), add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
- Try using the slow cooker feature on your pressure cooker to see how the meat compares to cooking chicken on the pressure cook setting! Cook on “normal” setting for 6 hours.
- For darker, juicier meat, replace the chicken breasts with chicken thighs. Go boneless!
- Consider making your own flour tortillas from scratch (recipe from Nourish and Fete)!
Uses For Taco Meat
I love that there are so many different recipes to put taco meat into and so many ways to use it to make food tastier. Here are a few ideas for you!
- Make Taco Cups! This is one of my favorite finger foods to serve at parties. Enjoy a taco in just a few bites!
- Traditional tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tostadas or enchiladas were made for taco meat.
- Add it to chili for an extra kick!
- TACO SALAD! Or throw some into your next batch of Taco Ranch Pasta Salad for a meatier party food.
- Add it to your next batch of Mac & Cheese!
- Throw it on top of a plate of nachos.
How To Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
In a small bowl, combine the following:
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika (use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it to be)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
Uses For Taco Seasoning
If you grow tired of taco meat, we need to have a chat. Kidding, but here are a few other ideas for ways to use taco seasoning.
- Stir it into any creamy dip (yum).
- Really, you could add it to just about any meat-based meal to transform it into a tasty, spicy food. I’m thinking meatballs, burgers or even chicken.
- Use it as a rub on your next Rotisserie chicken or batch of ribs!
- Add it to salad dressing for an extra zing.
Favorite Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Here are a few of my favorite recipes to make for your next Cinco de Mayo gathering!
- 25 delicious Cinco de Mayo dessert recipes
- Easy Baked Churros
- Ground Pork Tacos from Hot Pan Kitchen
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Barbacoa Beef
- 7-Layer Taco Dip
- Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken (for tacos)
- 1.25 oz taco seasoning or 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, fat removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 14.5 oz chicken broth or stock, or 2 cups water
- 8 flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and taco sauce for topping
- Rub the taco seasoning over the surfaces of the chicken breasts. Set Instant Pot to saute. Heat the olive oil and add the chicken to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes/side. Do this in batches, if needed, and transfer chicken to a cutting board.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot and deglaze the pot (scrape the bottom with a spoon). Place a trivet into Instant Pot and Place the chicken breasts in a single layer on top of the trivet.
- Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 5 minutes on high pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 10 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
- When cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then set to Quick Release. Let the float valve drop and remove the cover. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken and add it back to the pot. Mix well.
- Divide the meat between the tortillas and top with cheese and toppings of your choice!