This is the best margarita recipe EVER! My husband spent years perfecting this delicious tequila cocktail. You will never need another margarita recipe again!
This is a bold and perhaps weird statement, but margaritas are one of the things that brought Dan and me together. On our first date we made dinner at my house and enjoyed a couple margaritas while we chatted. Since that night, Dan has perfected his recipe and it is THE BEST margarita I’ve ever tasted. When we have guests over, Dan serves these delicious drinks and I am telling you.. everyone swoons! Every time.
What makes these margaritas so delicious, you might ask? Well let me tell you! Do you know those margaritas that you order at a restaurant that you can only drink a few sips of because they’re soooo sweet? Our margarita recipe contains the perfect amount of sweetness because we do not use sweet and sour mix and we sweeten the drink usually with either agave nectar or honey (we use sugar only in a pinch).
Fresh lime juice is a key ingredient, as well, and when it is paired with Grand Marnier, magic basically happens.
WATCH THIS SHORT VIDEO TO SEE HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN MARGARITAS!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST MARGARITA YOU’LL EVER TASTE!
In a cocktail shaker with ice, add 2 parts tequila, 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 part orange liqueur and 1/2 part sweetener of your choice. Shake well and divide between two margarita glasses filled with ice.
Top with a splash of club soda, extra fresh lime juice and Grand Marnier. Garnish with lime wedges and serve!
RECIPE TIPS: MAKE THE BEST CLASSIC MARGARITA ON THE ROCKS!
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, use two plastic cups that fit snugly opening to opening. When possible, we shake our margaritas to ensure the ingredients get mixed together thoroughly.
- Our favorite sweeteners to use in this recipe are agave syrup, honey or simple syrup. Using sugar is delicious, too, but definitely makes the drink sweeter. If you like an extra sweet margarita, granulated sugar is a great option!
- The tastiest orange liqueur to use for this drink is Grand Marnier, but Triple Sec and Cointreau work well, too.
- Splashing a few ingredients on top after the drinks have been poured is KEY! A splash of club soda, extra lime juice, orange juice or addtional orange liqueur are all delicious. Use just a splash of each to send your margarita to the moon!
- Use crushed ice for an extra fun drink and use salt rimmed glasses.
- This recipe will make enough for 1 perfect beverage, but feel free to quadruple the recipe to make a large pitcher to share!
WHAT IS THE BEST TEQUILA FOR MARGARITAS?
Choosing the best tequila for your margarita is super important. There are plenty of types of tequila that are top shelf and tasty on their own (or good in other drinks) but that do not taste the best in margaritas.
We recommend using a silver, blanco or white variety of tequila for optimal flavor. These types of tequila are transparent much like vodka and are bottled directly after being distilled, so they are either aged for a short period or not aged at all. Here is a list of our favorite tequilas, in order from most to least favorite (all of these work great!):
- 1800 silver
- Sauza silver
- Sauza hornitos plata
- Don Julio blanco
- Jose Cuervo silver
CINCO DE MAYO RECIPES
- This spicy bean salsa recipe is fresh, zesty, delicious and great for parties. It is also the perfect food to have hanging out in your fridge all week for lunch wraps, salads or to top grilled chicken with.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the BEST! It is packed with flavor, it is super easy to make and it tastes like it’s been cooked low and slow all day long. Throw it together for your next family dinner OR your next big gathering. Either way, it’ll get devoured!
- This is the BEST shredded chicken you will ever eat! SO GOOD! Making shredded chicken for tacos in the Instant Pot requires only FOUR ingredients. The meat turns out flavorful, tender and juicy every single time. Perfect for taco night!
- Make Churros the easy way by baking them in the oven! Baked Churros are a great snack or dessert to enjoy on Cinco de Mayo or any time of the year.
- Introducing the best 7 Layer Taco Dip you’ll ever meet! It’s the perfect appetizer and party food and it is always the first thing to get devoured.
- Skinny Margaritas from Nourish and Fete
HOW TO SELECT A PERFECTLY RIPE LIME
I have limes on hand all the time because their delicious juice goes great with so many different foods. Fresh lime juic spruces up salad, chicken, all different types of beverages and so many other things. When selecting limes at the grocery store, look for these attritbutes to make sure you are getting the juiciest, ripest ones:
- First, smell the lime. Go ahead, put it right up to your nose and smell for a strong limey scent. The stronger the scent of lime, the riper the fruit will be.
- The darker green limes are typically riper and juicier, as well. The exception to this is if you are purchasing key limes. Key limes are smaller in size and have a more concentrated flavor and are typically used to make key lime pie or key lime cookies. With key limes, a yellow color indicates ripeness instead of a green color.
- The heavier the lime feels in your hands, the more juice is hiding inside!
- Gently squeeze the lime in your hands. The more give a lime has, the juicier it’ll be. If it is too squishy it may be past its prime, so be sure it doesn’t give too much with a gentle squeeze.
The Best Margaritas
- 2 oz silver tequila
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier
- 1/2 oz sweetener such as agave nectar, honey, simple syrup or sugar
- splash of club soda
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a cocktail shaker, combine 2 ice cubes along with tequila,lime juice, Grand Marnier and sweetener. Shake well and divide between two margarita glasses filled with ice.
- Top with a splash of club soda, extra lime juice and Grand Marnier. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.