In a large bowl, mix (using whisk attachments) the butter with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until just combined. Add the milk and peppermint extract and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Refrigerate until ready to spread on desserts. Allow to bring to room temperature before spreading on desserts.
- SALTED BUTTER – I ALWAYS used salted butter for my baked goods and buttercream frostings, but that is a personal preference. If you wish to reduce the saltiness, go unsalted! Also, make sure your butter is not totally melted. If you don’t have time to bring it to room temperature, microwave it for no more than 30 seconds.
- MILK – Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated. When you reach the desired frosting consistency, you don’t need to add any more. For a less thick buttercream, you may want to increase the amount of milk used to 4-6 tablespoons. For a thicker frosting, 3-4 tablespoons is ideal.
- MIXING – Once you have reached your desired consistency, crank your mixer up to medium-high speed and set a timer for 3 full minutes. Don’t skimp on time. Three minutes of mixing will produce such a super fluffy, creamy and perfect buttercream frosting.
- SPRINKLES – Stir in sprinkles at the end for an extra touch of fun! I love doing this when I’m baking treats for kids because…SPRINKLES.
- VANILLA – Use real vanilla extract (no imitations!) and feel free to increase the amount to 2 teaspoons for an even stronger vanilla flavor. If you have time to plan ahead, make a batch of homemade vanilla extract!
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 8mg | Sugar: 49g | Vitamin A: 473IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
If you loved this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!