Turn your classic holiday drink into a creamy ice cream. Egg Nog Nutella ice cream can be enjoyed by mixing egg nog, delicious, creamy hazelnut flavored nutella and a little rum to become an amazing holiday treat. Now you’ll be in the holiday spirit!
I admit to not being a huge lover of egg nog. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but he doesn’t like mushrooms so the feelings are mutual. I discovered this week, however, that egg nog ice cream? Love! I am so glad I tried this. It is one of the tastiest ice cream flavors I have ever eaten. That is saying a lot, considering the ice cream “problem” I had during my last pregnancy.
If you have an ice cream maker and perhaps some leftover egg nog hanging out in your fridge, you absolutely have to give this a try. I added a little bit of rum to round out the flavor, but feel free to omit that if you are worried about children consuming it.
Here is Day #11 of Twelve Days of Christmas Treats! One more day! What oh what will Day 12 bring?
In a large bowl, combine:
2 cups egg nog (I used light, but regular may be even more delicious)
1 pint heavy whipping cream
14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons rum (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
I chilled all of my ingredients beforehand, but if you don’t have time to do this go ahead and stick the bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes or so.
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for 45 minutes, or according the the manufacturer’s instructions.
Place between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of Nutella in a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 20 to 25 seconds. Stir.
When the churning is finished, pour a quarter of the ice cream into a freezable container. Spoon a third of the Nutella over top in random globs. Repeat with the remaining ice cream and Nutella, finishing with the top layer of ice cream.
Cover and place in the freezer for 4 hours, or until the ice cream is completely firm.
Serve with chopped hazelnuts, if desired. Dan and I also thought (although we’ve yet to try it) it would be ridiculously delicious to pour a bit of Bailey’s over the top.
Egg Nog Nutella Ice Cream
- 2 cups egg nog
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp. rum
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Nutella softened
- Hazelnuts chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine egg nog, heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, rum and vanilla. Mix well and refrigerate until chilled. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn for 45-50 minutes, or according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- When finished churning, pour a quarter of the ice cream into a freezable container. Spoon about a third of the Nutella over the top in random globs. Repeat with remaining ice cream and Nutella, finishing with the top layer of ice cream. Cover and place in freezer for 4 hours, or until completely firm. Serve with chopped hazelnuts, if desired.