Salisbury Steak is the perfect meal to throw into your crock pot! Tender beef patties and mushrooms are smothered in a flavorful and comforting brown gravy. Serve this beef recipe over a pile of mashed potatoes for an added bit of comfort!
If you have memories of the Salisbury Steak recipe from school lunches as a kid, I am begging you to make this recipe so the beefy, mushroom-y, comforting meal can redeem itself. Your crock pot will transform beef patties into tender, juicy pieces of meat that are swimming in a brown, delicious gravy.
I’ve added an abundance of mushrooms to this recipe because, well, MUSHROOMS! I can never get enough. This is the perfect easy dinner to prepare for your family any night of the week. For an added touch of comfort, serve Salisbury Steak over a pile of creamy mashed potatoes.
Web Story For Best Salisbury Steak Recipe
Watch the highlights on why you should prepare best salisbury steak for your family in the crock pot!
How To Make Salisbury Steak In Your Slow Cooker
Enjoy putting together an easy Salisbury Steak with gravy in the morning that is ready when you are for dinner!
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, ketchup, egg, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix the meat mixture well using your hands. Divide into eight equal parts and form hamburger patties with your hands into oval patties.
Coat a skillet with cooking spray and set heat to medium-high. Add the beef patties in two batches and cook for 1.5 minutes per side, or until the lightly seared. Re-apply cooking spray to pan as needed. When the patties are cooked, they’ll be placed into the crock pot.
Add the mushrooms and onions to the bottom of a large slow cooker. Place the seared beef patties in a single layer on top and sprinkle the gravy mix over tops of the patties. Pour the beef broth over the top and flip the patties over.
Cover crock pot and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. To thicken the sauce, mix the cornstarch together with the water and add to the crock pot; stir. Let cook for 30 additional minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice!
- Be sure to sear the hamburger patties so you can help them stay in shape and keep the yummy flavors together before they go into the crock pot.
- Buy 90% lean ground beef for this recipe but don’t go much leaner than that. You need a little fat in the meat to ensure that they aren’t dry and they can keep shape when mixed into the other ingredients.
- Ground turkey or chicken would also work for this meal. You just want to make sure you have enough binding ingredients so they form solid patties before they are added to your crock pot.
- Pre-made hamburger patties from the store will work in a pinch. Cooking in the gravy will add flavor. A better idea is to make up a batch of hamburger patties in step 1, place them between wax paper and into freezer ziplocs so you can easily pull them out of the freeze for another night when dinner needs to be quick.
What Meat Do You Use For Salisbury Steak
Typically ground beef is used to make Salisbury Steak, but any type of ground meat can be used as a replacement (especially if you are hoping to make the recipe leaner). Mixed into the meat is an assortment of other ingredients, such as cracker or bread crumbs, seasonings and sometimes onions or peppers.
What Is The Difference Between A Salisbury Steak and a Hamburger Steak?
Hamburger steak is typically mixed with seasonings (such as salt and pepper) while Salisbury steak contains additional ingredients (such as ketchup, egg, cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs). Hamburger steak is served in a bun and Salisbury steak goes bun-less.
What To Serve With Salisbury Steak
I recommend serving Salisbury Steak over top a starchy food, such as pasta, mashed potatoes or Instant Pot Rice.
Other Meals You Can Make In The Slow Cooker
I’m all about quick and easy meals that will make your life easier and allow more time for the important things like spending quality time with your family. Plus meals made in a crock pot tend to be comfort food recipes! Here are a few other crock pot meals to add to your life:
Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Sweet and Tangy Crockpot Chicken
Creamy Tortellini Soup
The Best Chili
I would love it if you left a comment letting me know how this Salisbury Steak turned out for you! Are there changes that you made to the recipe? Did you serve it over noodles instead of potatoes? Did you decrease the amount of mushrooms the recipe calls for (please tell me you didn’t! Ha!)?
I’m off to enjoy these leftovers for a comforting lunch! Enjoy the rest of your week, friends. Thank you so much for being here!
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Crock Pot Salisbury Steak
- Crock Pot
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (1 sleeve)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 8 oz. containers sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 oz. package dry brown gravy mix
- 14.5 oz. can beef broth
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch optional
- 2 tbsp. water optional
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, ketchup, egg, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well using your hands. Divide into eight equal parts and form patties with your hands.
- Coat a skillet with cooking spray and set heat to medium-high. Add the beef patties in two batches and cook for 1.5 minutes per side, or until lightly seared. Re-apply cooking spray to pan as needed.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the bottom of a large slow cooker. Place the seared beef patties in a single layer on top and sprinkle the gravy mix over tops of the patties. Pour the beef broth over the top and flip the patties over. Cover crockpot and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. To thicken the sauce, mix the cornstarch together with the water and add to the crockpot; stir. Let cook for 30 additional minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice!
Leave a Reply