I feel like a bit of a two-timer. I’ve had a favorite muffin for years, and now I’m suddenly dreaming of another. My old muffin still has a special place in my heart, but this new one gives me butterflies. I’m one of those people who goes to a restaurant and doesn’t stray much from the usual order. When I find something I love, I stick with it! So when it was time to make this muffin recipe, I almost felt like it was a waste of time. Like any other muffin than my usual would be a huge disappointment.
And I could not have been more wrong! I am now feeling inspired to order something besides the Spinach Veggie Wrap (for the 273rd consecutive time) at Jason’s Deli!
First, make the topping:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Rub with your fingers to form coarse crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Now make the mufins:
Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer, beat 1 large egg at medium speed until frothy.
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Beat until pale yellow, 1 minute.
Beat in, until blended:
1 rounded cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until almost blended.
In a small bowl, toss together:
1 rounded cup frozen blueberries (I used fresh, and mmmm!)
1 tablespoon flour
Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
Fill the muffin cups three-fourths full of batter and sprinkle with the topping.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and allow them to cool on a rack.
You’ll be two-timing your favorite muffin in no time!
Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 tbsp.
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1 rounded cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. lemon zest finely grated
- 1 rounded cup frozen blueberries
- MAKE THE TOPPING: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Rub with your fingers to form coarse crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- MAKE THE MUFFINS: Butter a 12-cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 ½ cups of flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer, beat the egg at medium speed until frothy. Add the sugar and melted butter and beat until pale yellow, 1 minute. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla and lemon zest until blended. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until almost blended. In a bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Using a rubber spatula, fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Fill the muffin cups three-fourths full of batter; sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan; let cool on a rack.