Enjoy one of the best food duos of all time in these delicious Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes. Guests will swoon over the jelly hiding in the middle!
Because I looooove turning one type of food into something unexpected (hello Cookie Remix), I had the thought one morning to transform a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into an irresistible cupcake. And since I also have a love for hiding food inside of food (like with these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies) the jelly is hiding in the center, secretly waiting to be discovered. My boys did all kinds of ooo-ing and mmm-ing and kept asking for one more? Another? How about another?
I made both regular- and mini-size Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes and our favorite version was by far the mini. They seemed to have the perfect amount of frosting, jelly and topping.
Drizzling the strawberry ice cream topping over the tops was a last-minute call, but a GOOD one. This step can be skipped, but I love the touch of color the topping adds to the outside of the cupcakes. If you’ll be serving these at a gathering, drizzle just before serving. Guests will be WOWed!
Also, don’t throw away the bits of cupcake that you cut out of the centers. Use them to make Cupcake Truffles! Enjoy these yummy PBJ Cupcakes and I hope your week is going great!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup salted butter softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup heaving whipping cream
- 1/2 cup strawberry or grape jelly
- 1/4 cup strawberry ice cream topping optional
- 4 tbsp. salted butter softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line regular or mini cupcake tins with cupcake liners. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract and beat on medium-low speed until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Gradually add to the butter mixture and beat on medium-low speed until just combined. Add the sour cream and heavy cream and mix until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner with batter (it will be thick and should nearly reach the top of the liner) and bake in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes (9-11 min, if making mini cupcakes), or until a toothpick inserted into the centers come out clean. Let cool.
MAKE THE FROSTING
- In a large bowl, mix (using whisk attachments) the butter with a hand-held or stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar and heavy whipping cream and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, or until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
ASSEMBLE THE CUPCAKES
- Using a sharp knife cut a 1-inch chunk out of the top center of each cupcake. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the jelly into each hole. Spread or pipe the frosting over the tops. Drizzle the ice cream topping over the tops and serve!