Fruit Cubes are a great way to spruce up a pitcher of 7up or glass of water. Add subtle berry flavoring without adding calories or tons of sugar! Make drinks extra fun for kids and adults alike.
Since my boys were little-little, I have been on a mission to make sure they consume beverages that contain as little sugar as possible. This is a difficult feat. Especially in the summer, sugary treats are craved. Popsicles and juice and sugary beverages just taste GOOD when it is steaming hot outside. I get it!
My answer to this problem is to make fruit ice cubes. I’ve made them for my boys since they were toddlers and they love them! This is the easiest way to spruce up a glass of water because it is low on calories AND low on sugar.
The best part is you can involve your kids in the process and allow them to pick the fruit that goes into their cubes. They LOVE fruit cubes and they’ll drink an entire glass of water when these delicious icy cubes are thrown in.
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO TO SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE FRUIT ICE CUBES!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST FRUIT ICE CUBES
Place 3 cups of fresh berries into the holes of an empty ice cube tray. Add water and freeze for a minimum of 1 hour.
Add the fruit cubes to a glass or pitcher of water, with additional fruit, if desired.
Load up on the fruit! As long as it fits below the surface of the ice cube tray, it’s fair game. You can try different fruit, as well, so don’t feel limited to berries. Oranges, lemons, limes, pears, grapefruit, go crazy!
If it’s not fresh fruit season, use frozen fruit!
The smaller pieces of fruit you use, the more you’ll be able to squeeze in the ice cube holes!
To spruce the cubes up even more, replace the plain water in the cubes with sprite or sparkling water.
Use a regular plastic ice cube mold or a silicone mold for this recipe! The silicone molds typically hold extra volume, so you can pack in extra fruit.
Use filtered water for the freshest, tasty cubes!
Fruit flavored cubes are a refreshing drink for kids in the summer, but they are also great for hot afternoons on the deck, girls night and also brunch!
ENJOY AN ADULT-SIZED BEVERAGE WITH ONE OF THESE DRINK RECIPES!
WHAT TO SERVE FOR BRUNCH AT HOME
Brunch is one of my favorite things in the world. Brunch contains the best collection of foods on the planet, which is why it is so popular among the masses. And don’t forget that alcohol is totally acceptable at brunches, too! Woo!
- Make Homemade Bagels using only 5 ingredients and in 20 minutes from start to finish! NO YEAST or rising or waiting required. These easy bagels are soft, flavorful and taste great with savory or sweet toppings. I love sprinkling Everything But the Bagel Seasoning over the tops!
– You have just met your new go-to Blueberry Muffins recipe! These muffins turn out great every time, they are moist and totally packed with blueberries. These are the PERFECT treat to adorn your brunch spread!
Like brunch itself, this recipe is a combo of two types of meals, making it the perfect brunch fare. Breakfast Pizza combines eggs, spinach, bacon and goat cheese? Yes, please!
I have been making (and perfecting) this BEST Breakfast Casserole for YEARS and it is one of my all-time favorite breakfast foods. This is perhaps my favorite thing ever to make for brunches. It is a massive hit every single time!
– Transform French Toast into a Mixed Berry Croissant Breakfast Bake! The croissants add such a delicious buttery texture. Let it sit in the fridge overnight so it is ready to bake the next day!
Smear hummus inside of a wrap and stuff it with veggies to create a healthy, meatless brunch option! Hummus Veggie Wraps do NOT lack flavor!
Lemon Drops are my favorite drink to enjoy for any occasion. It is the perfect brunch cocktail because it is light, lemony and delicious! It is sure to impress guests. Use honey simple syrup for a less sweet version.
This Slow Cooker Hot Creamy Corn is ADDICTING! Bacon and green chiles give this dish the kick is needs. Sprinkle some cilantro into the cheesy corn dish for a perfect brunch dish. Serve it with chips or crackers or solo as a creamy side. Either way, it’ll be the most popular dish at the feast!
Fruit Ice Cubes
- 3 cups fresh rinsed berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries (if using strawberries hull and quarter first)
- Press the berries into the holes of an empty ice cube tray. Pour water over the tops of the fruit and freeze for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Add the fruit cubes to a glass or pitcher of water or a can of sparkling water. You can add additional fruit, if desired.