These Chocolate Chip Cookies are the BEST EVER and they have it all! Crispy, chewy, soft and irresistible, they will quickly become your go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. You don’t have to worry about chilling the dough and you can be assured they turn out perfectly and are loved by everyone.
Original recipe posted: March 2019 | Recipe update: December 2019
Delivering you another labor of love today, friends. This chocolate chip cookie is my definition of total cookie perfection. All at once, it is chocolatey, crispy, soft and chewy and totally perfect. I tested this recipe for months before I was 100% happy with it. I want you to have a hands down, perfect-every-time recipe for when you need a great cookie.
I make these cookies all the time and my boys and I basically lose ALL self-control when they are in our kitchen. My freezer trick doesn’t even work! The other day I found Sammy pulling cookies out of the freezer and microwaving them for 10 seconds each so he wouldn’t have to wait. Once you make these, you will NEVER want another chocolate chip cookie recipe again! No joke! Nothings beats these cookies!
SEE FOR YOURSELF HOW EASY THESE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE TO MAKE!
Enjoy the step-by-step video tutorial we have created for this recipe! Our goal is to make your time in the kitchen as easy as possible and to ensure that your version of this recipe is a success. See our full collection of cooking and baking videos on YouTube!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
I love having a go-to recipe that turns out perfectly so I can enjoy myself and share with others!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the melted butter, vegetable oil, white granulated sugar and brown sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until creamy and free of lumps.
In a separate bowl, combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, corn starch, baking soda and salt. Mix dry ingredients well. Gradually add to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined. Fold in the semi sweet chocolate chips.
Using a medium cookie scoop, place 1.5-tablespoon-size chunks of batter 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 9-11 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
RECIPE TIPS: HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES FROM SCRATCH
- Replace the chips with M&M’s (or add them in addition to chips!) for fun!
- This dough freezes really well (use within 6 months) and the baked cookies freeze great, too (enjoy within 3-4 months).
- Store the cookies at room temperature in a sealed container.
- These make the absolute perfect after-school snack when served warm with a glass of cold milk!
- Replace the chocolate chips with chocolate chunks, white chocolate chips or caramel chips for a different flavor.
- I love using sea salt in place of regular table salt in these cookies.
WHY ARE MY COOKIES FLAT
If your cookies are coming out of the oven looking flat, you either haven’t used the appropriate leavening agents (baking powder or baking soda) or you have used too little flour. If the cookies are flat and greasy, you may have used too much butter. Follow baking recipes very closely to avoid making flat cookies!
WHY CHILL COOKIE DOUGH
It is not necessary that you chill the dough for this recipe, although you definitely CAN. The reason many cookie recipes require dough to be chilled is because refrigeration helps to solidify the fat. When the cookies are put into the oven chilled, the fat in the dough (the butter or oil) takes longer to warm up, causing less spreading.
HOW TO KEEP COOKIES SOFT
For optimal cookie softness, allow them to cool completely after coming out of the oven and store as stated in the directions. Some cookies store best in the fridge while others store well while covered at room temperature.
CAN YOU FREEZE COOKIE DOUGH
Cookie dough is PERFECT for freezing! It’s one of the things I love most about it. Place prepared cookie dough into a resealable freezer bag and press as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to six months. When you are ready to make the cookies, allow the dough to thaw completely in the fridge overnight then bake as directed.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
There are 147 calories in one of these delicious cookies!
HOW MANY CARBS IN A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
There are 18 grams of carbohydrates in one of these chocolate-packed cookies.
WHO INVENTED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
From wikipedia.. “The chocolate chip cookie was invented by American chefs Ruth Graves Wakefield and Sue Brides in 1938. Ruth invented the recipe during the period when she owned the Toll House Inn, in Whitman, Massachusetts. In this era, the Toll House Inn was a popular restaurant that featured home cooking.”
WHEN IS NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DAY
National chocolate chip cookie day is on August 4th every year! What a great excuse to load up on the classic American cookie.
HOW TO CLEAN COOKIE SHEETS
If you have extra grimy cookie sheets, sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda over the surface and cover with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit for 1 hour and scrub the surface using a dish scrubber. Wash with dish soap!
WHY DO SOME RECIPES CALL FOR EGGS TO BE USED AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
Allowing your eggs to come to room temperature is important for a couple of reasons. One, they will mix better with your batter, and then let the cake mix raise better as it bakes. Also, the cake will take a little longer to bake if room temperature eggs are used but creates a perfect cake that has a great texture. If a cake has a high fat content, adding cold eggs could affect re-hardening the fat. Finally, eggs that are needed to be created into a foam for a recipe will have better volume if warmed to room temperature.
SALTED BUTTER VS UNSALTED BUTTER
Ahh, the great baking debate. Many bakers use unsalted butter in their baked goods in order to avoid over-salting. I, however, believe that there is no such thing as “over-salting.” I always use salted butter in my baked goods (and for everything else under the sun) because it gives everything I make an extra touch of salty deliciousness. If you go the unsalted route, keep in mind that you may need to add a bit extra salt to the recipe!
BEST COOKIES FOR HOLIDAY BAKING
Add these delicious cookie to your holiday baking list, too!
- Chewy Gingersnaps – These delicious gingersnap cookies are the perfect chewy treat. Plus they are super easy to make. Flavored with molasses and spices and the finishing touch – topped with simple icing! Enjoy making these, as they are the perfect holiday baking cookie recipe!
- Sugar Cookies – These are the BEST Sugar Cookies. They are super easy to make (using only seven ingredients) and they are perfect for decorating. You will never need another sugar cookie recipe again!
- Triple Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Frosting – Triple the chocolate in these irresistible soft cookies! They are already a thick, perfect cookie but Nutella sets them over the edge in goodness. You can’t skip topping them with decadent peppermint buttercream frosting because it transforms them into the perfect dessert. It’s a fun holiday flavor and they look pretty too!
- Chocolate Kiss Cream Cheese Cookies – These Chocolate Kiss Cream Cheese Cookies are a great dessert for gatherings any time of the year. They are light, creamy and sugary, with just the perfect kiss of milk chocolate!
- Hot Cocoa Cookies – Hot Cocoa Cookies are like enjoying a cup of hot chocolate, except in cookie form. Chocolate oozes from the centers of these marshmallow-topped treats. These rich cookies are perfect for holiday parties and dessert trays!
- Oreo Balls – Oreo Balls are an easy no-bake dessert requiring only three ingredients! This easy dessert is great for the holidays or any time of year. Decorate with colored sprinkles to be festive and match the occasion.
- Gingerbread Cookies – These are the BEST Gingerbread Cookies you’ll find! Super easy to make and loved by everyone. Great for the holidays!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag it @pipandebby + hashtag it #PIPANDEBBY I’d love to see what you create!
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened 1 1/2 sticks
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, vegetable oil, granulated and brown sugars, eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until creamy and free of lumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, corn starch and salt. Mix well. Gradually add to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, place 1.5-tablespoon-size chunks of batter 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 9-11 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.