There could not be a meal more fresh and delicious than this!
My second son is almost a year old, which seems absolutely insane. I remember those first seven weeks of his life when it literally felt like time was standing still. He refused to sleep during the day during that span of time, so I found myself walking a million laps a day around our home with him in my arms while also trying to care for a crazy 3-year-old. It was a stressful time, and I vividly recall thinking that time would never march on from that point. I felt like I would be walking laps to the soundtrack of wailing (toddler and newborn) forever.
And now it is almost a year later and it’s hard to believe it’s almost a year later! Time is so strange in that way, isn’t it? You wish something away and then it goes by way too quickly.
One thing that hasn’t gone too quickly, though, is the last 5 to 7 pounds of baby weight I’ve been carrying for the past nine months. I realize that 5 to 7 pounds is not a huge deal, but when you are stubborn and refuse to buy new clothes it kind of matters. So. As we near the one-year mark of the birth of our beautiful second son, I am buckling down. I am making even more of an effort than usual to prepare healthy meals and avoid unhealthy foods.
I came up with this creation on the fly the other night. It was another beautiful evening, so I stationed my husband at the grill with the seafood while I put the rest of the meal together in the kitchen. We both loved it.
Grilled Scallops with Quinoa and Fresh Veggies
- 8-10 sea scallops
- 3 tbsp. butter melted
- 1 cup quinoa prepared according to package directions
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cloves garlic very finely minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the sea scallops in the butter for 20 minutes, turning occasionally to coat. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, red or green bell pepper, cucumber, corn, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.
- Remove the scallops from the butter and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Cook scallops on a grill over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Serve quinoa, vegetables and scallops together.