Prep Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole the night before for an easy, meaty, veggie-packed, hearty holiday breakfast. Great for feeding the family on Christmas morning, or any weekend morning throughout the year!
The busy-ness of the holiday season caught up with me last week. As I felt the weight of December, I started frantically planning ahead in hopes of gaining back sanity points. This breakfast casserole is a solution for simplifying meals this month. Not just for me and my family, but for YOU and yours! Prep it the night before, when guests are staying over or on Christmas Eve for an easy, no-fuss Christmas-morning breakfast or brunch. If there are leftovers, it tastes great as a reheated meal. Do not let the title “Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole” limit you! It is great enjoyed any time of the year and even acts as a delicious and filling dinner option!
Do I have to make Breakfast Casserole ahead of time?
Making it ahead of time frees up time in the morning, but it can be baked immediately after prepping, as well. Mornings, especially holiday mornings, can be jam-packed full of activity, so this make-ahead meal is meant to help when it’s most needed!
Can I swap out the meat and veggies for other varieties?
Absolutely yes, please feel free to use ground sausage or ground beef, or all of the above! I’d recommend keeping the total meat used in the recipe to 2 cups cooked. The same goes for the veggies! Use veggies you prefer (or have on hand) to replace any in the recipe. Sometimes I have to remind myself that not everyone loves mushrooms as much as I do.
What else should I serve for Christmas brunch?
In addition to this crowd-pleasing casserole, here are some other delicious brunch recommendations:
Apple French Toast Bake
Creamy Hashbrown Potatoes
Apple Coffee Cake
Cream Cheese Monkey Bread
Have a wonderful week and I hope your December is going smoothly. Enjoy this breakfast casserole and be sure to stop back for more time-saving holiday recipes!
Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 10 cups dry bread pieces
- 1 cup cooked, chopped bacon 1/2 pound
- 1 cup deli ham cut in strips
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sliced green onions, for topping
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until veggies are soft and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the milk, veggie mixture, bacon, ham and cheddar cheese and stir until combined. Add the bread pieces to the prepared pan in an even layer and pour the egg mixture over the top. Top with the mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight or until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove foil from the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until eggs are cooked through in center. Top with sliced green onions and serve!